Searchable museum of American history

• History
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the Gilcrease Museum has more art than history. There is a lot of controversy over the first people to settle North America and it is still not fully understood. There are some theories that suggest pre-Clovis people got to North America by sailing down the west coast, and there is evidence that suggests Europeans may have had an influence on the early American settlers.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Likes berkeman
Science news on Phys.org
More art than history. They say 12,000 BC but I couldn't find anything. AFAIK the question of American settlement is still not finally answered. There are some conflicting hypothesis, especially with findings in South America, but as well some evidence, that flintstones found had more in common with early European techniques than with the Clovis. And there is evidence for earlier findings than the Bering Strait bridge would have allowed. Sorry, if that was a distracting commentary, but I find the question about the first immigrants extremely exciting.

Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
More art than history. They say 12,000 BC but I couldn't find anything. AFAIK the question of American settlement is still not finally answered. There are some conflicting hypothesis, especially with findings in South America, but as well some evidence, that flintstones found had more in common with early European techniques than with the Clovis. And there is evidence for earlier findings than the Bering Strait bridge would have allowed. Sorry, if that was a distracting commentary, but I find the question about the first immigrants extremely exciting.
Yes, there has been a lot of controversy over the first people to settle North America. Clovis was long thought to be the first but now seems to have been overturned.

Here is an article on recent findings about pre-Clovis people who probably got south by sailing down the west coast.

Likes Evo
BillTre said:
Here is an article on recent findings about pre-Clovis people who probably got south by sailing down the west coast.
Paywall for me. The difficulty with too pre-Clovis is I think the missing land bridge in the Bering Strait.

I have seen a South American (I think it was a Chilean) anthropologist who favors the idea of polynesian first settlers, at least in South America. And IIRC the genes of todays Indian civilizations in the north fit better to Siberian populations than South East Asian. And the flintstone fabric found in the US might indicate an early European influence, which was proposed by an American anthropologist. That is pretty far fetched, but not impossible. We simply assume they couldn't sail such distances. It could explain the eastern settlers while North America was buried beneath an ice shield.

I guess we'll have to wait until mitDNA investigations tell us the whole story, if it is one story at all, and not two or three. Until then it's a big mystery.

fresh_42 said:
Paywall for me.
Opps, thought it wasn't for some reason.
Its about an inland finding, up the Columbia river, that predates clovis and has different style tools.

Related to Searchable museum of American history

1. What is a searchable museum of American history?

A searchable museum of American history is an online database or collection of artifacts, documents, and other materials related to the history of the United States. It allows users to search and access information about various aspects of American history, such as events, people, and cultural movements.

2. How does a searchable museum of American history work?

A searchable museum of American history typically works by organizing information into categories and using keywords and tags to make it searchable. Users can search for specific topics or browse through different collections to find relevant information. The database may also include images, videos, and interactive features to enhance the user experience.

3. Who can access a searchable museum of American history?

A searchable museum of American history is typically accessible to anyone with an internet connection. Some museums may require users to create an account or pay a fee to access certain features or collections. However, many online museums are free and open to the public.

4. What type of information can be found in a searchable museum of American history?

A searchable museum of American history can contain a wide range of information, including historical documents, photographs, artwork, artifacts, and multimedia presentations. It may also include educational resources, such as lesson plans and interactive activities, to help users learn more about American history.

5. How is a searchable museum of American history beneficial?

A searchable museum of American history provides a convenient and accessible way for people to learn about the history of the United States. It allows users to explore different topics and perspectives, making it a valuable resource for students, researchers, and anyone interested in American history. It also helps preserve and share important cultural and historical information for future generations.