Search for a word string - how to.

• Thread starter Shooting Star
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around how to search for a string of words on a specific domain using advanced search. The solution given was to use the "site:" operator with Google. The conversation also touched on boolean searching and the possibility of the "Forum Jump" feature returning in the future.
Shooting Star
Homework Helper
Search for a word string -- how to.

I have forgotten how to search for a string of words here using advanced search, e.g. 'Newton's laws" or "electrostatic potential". Could someone please remind me?

Physics news on Phys.org

It seems strange that there is no local way of doing it, like enclosing it in quotes as in Google, or using some other operator, in our own search page. The worst thing is that I can't search for stuff from only one year ago, say. But thanks for the very prompt reply.

Did I mention that your avatar looks more and more like my Principal in school? Well, OK (gulp), I'll do it the way you say, sure, just let me go...:rolleyes:

Shooting Star said:
Did I mention that your avatar looks more and more like my Principal in school?

Did you have that guy in "South Park", too? Someone commented a while back that it looks like Mr. Hanky. :smile:

jtbell said:
Did you have that guy in "South Park", too? Someone commented a while back that it looks like Mr. Hanky. :smile:

Oh no, not Hanky, then I could have flushed him down. You are the generic School Principal, but he never 'rofl'-ed like you. I'm not so scared any more. :cool:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Contributors can use boolean searching

It would be helpful to know exactly what is the boolean operator for searching for a complete phrase.

From post #5, by Greg, in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1537951#post1537951,

"Only staff, contributors, HWHs and SAs can use boolean searching. You could would then either use "Laplace Transform" or Laplace AND Transform."

Giving the double quotes or parentheses results in OR, and the AND is not what I was looking for. What will give exactly Laplace Transform and nothing else?
---​

[(EDIT) I was viewing a saved page...]

On a slightly different note, will the beloved "Forum Jump" ever come back?

Last edited:

Shooting Star said:
"Only staff, contributors, HWHs and SAs can use boolean searching. You could would then either use "Laplace Transform" or Laplace AND Transform."

On a slightly different note, will the beloved "Forum Jump" ever come back?

The quotes is phrase searching and it requires boolean permissions. Forum Jump may return sometime in the future.

The following is the result of "Laplace Transform", within quotes, in advanced search. What am I missing?

===================================================
vBulletin Message

The search term you specified ("Laplace*Transform") is under the minimum word length (2) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
===================================================

Greg Bernhardt said:
fixed, try again

You the man!

Related to Search for a word string - how to.

1. How do I search for a specific word or phrase within a document or webpage?

To search for a word string, you can use the "Find" function in most web browsers and document editing software. This can usually be found under the "Edit" menu or by pressing "Ctrl + F" on your keyboard. Simply type in the word or phrase you want to search for and hit enter to see all instances of that word or phrase highlighted.

2. Can I search for a word string across multiple documents or webpages at once?

Yes, there are several tools and software programs available that allow you to search for a word string across multiple documents or webpages. Some popular options include Google Search, which allows you to use quotation marks to search for an exact word string, and Adobe Acrobat, which has a "Advanced Search" function that lets you search for a word string across multiple PDF documents.

3. Is there a way to narrow down my word string search results?

Yes, most search functions have options for narrowing down your results. For example, you can specify whether you want to search for an exact word or phrase, or if you want to include synonyms or related words in your search. Some programs also allow you to limit your search to specific sections or types of documents.

4. What should I do if my word string search isn't finding any results?

If your search is not finding any results, double check the spelling and formatting of your word string. Sometimes a small spelling or punctuation error can cause the search to fail. You can also try using different search options or expanding your search to include similar words or phrases.

5. Can I save my word string search results for future reference?

Yes, many search functions allow you to save your search results for future use. For example, you can bookmark the page or save the document with your highlighted search results. Some software programs also have a "Save Search" function that allows you to save your search criteria and results for later use.