Screen Recorder microphone sound not recorded

• Thread starter Ephant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows 10
Ephant
My Windows 10 IceCream Screen Recorder app was not able to record via microphone the sound during a particular screen video capture even if the microphone is turned on (but only 5%). In other instances, the microphone sound is available and also in tests afterwards. I was able to record microphone even if it's only 5%. I don't know what occured in that particular recording. I got the following result in Mediainfo. Can I recover the sound? I tried opening the *.webm file in Audacity but it can't recognize it. How do I recover the sound, or amplify it? Can any of the following information give one idea whether it is recorded? Audio
ID : 2
Format : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor : 1
Codec ID : A_VORBIS
Duration : 27mn 21s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -3ms
Stream size : 37.6 MiB (56%)
Writing library : libVorbis (Omnipresent) (20120203 (Omnipresent))
Default : Yes
Forced : No
DURATION : 00:27:21.294000000
Writing application : Lavc57.107.100

Computer science news on Phys.org
Perhaps the microphone cable has a problem; as a test, try recording your voice while wiggling the mic cable and connectors..

A Google search turned up some information:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=playback+for+a_vorbis+encoded

Near the top of the results was this:
Since February 2013, Xiph.Org has stated that the use of Vorbis should be deprecated in favor of the Opus codec, which is also a Xiph.Org Foundation project and also free and open-source.

Good Luck!
Tom

Tom.G said:
Perhaps the microphone cable has a problem; as a test, try recording your voice while wiggling the mic cable and connectors..

A Google search turned up some information:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=playback+for+a_vorbis+encoded

Near the top of the results was this:Good Luck!
Tom

It's from a built in mic in the laptop. I think the problem is the volume is zero for the mic.

Is there a way to still recover the sound? There is a saying information can never be lost. So how do you recover a sound that is not recorded in a file at all?

Ephant said:
There is a saying information can never be lost. So how do you recover a sound that is not recorded in a file at all?
Wellll ... yea.
The process though is rather impractical.

a) Sound - pressure variations of the air
b) Get a working recorder far enough away fast enough that the sound has not yet arrived.
c) Considering that the Earth is surrounded by a vacuum, you are limited somewhere on the Earth
d) Get to the opposite point on the earth (the antipodes), about 12,000 miles away
e) While traveling faster than the sound, you will also have to develop a method to detect and record the darn near non-existent sound you want.

You have 16.66 hours from the time the sound occured.

Oh well, time to cry in your beer. :cry:

1. Why is my screen recorder not recording microphone sound?

This issue often occurs due to the microphone permissions not being enabled for the screen recording software. Ensure that you have granted the necessary microphone access in your system's privacy or security settings. Additionally, check if the microphone is selected as the input source in the screen recorder's settings.

2. How can I enable microphone recording in my screen recording software?

To enable microphone recording, open your screen recording software and go to the audio settings. Look for an option that allows you to select the audio input source. Make sure the microphone is selected rather than the system audio. You may also need to adjust the volume settings to ensure the microphone input is not too low or muted.

3. What should I do if the microphone is enabled but still not recording?

If the microphone is enabled and properly configured but still not recording, try restarting the software or your device. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve underlying software glitches. If the problem persists, check if your microphone works with other applications to rule out hardware issues. Updating your audio drivers and screen recording software may also help.

4. Why is the recorded microphone sound low or of poor quality?

Low or poor-quality microphone sound can be due to several factors, including incorrect audio settings, low microphone volume, or the use of a low-quality microphone. Adjust the microphone volume in both your system settings and screen recording software. Consider using an external microphone or a headset with a built-in microphone for better sound quality.

5. Can I record both system sounds and microphone audio simultaneously?

Yes, most advanced screen recording software allows you to record both system sounds and microphone audio simultaneously. Check the audio settings in your screen recording application and look for an option to enable recording of both audio sources. If your software does not support this feature, you might need to switch to a more capable screen recording tool.