Scope problem when filling a vector of base class pointers.

In summary, the user is required to enter the resistance, capacitance, inductance, or "S" to stop creating components. They are then asked to enter the values for these components. The program creates a resistor according to the user input, and places it in the component library. It then tests the output and displays the impedance of the resistor.
JesseC
I'm trying to write a simple program to calculate the impedance of an AC circuit consisting of an arbitrary number of resistors, capacitors and inductors combined in series or parallel. First I ask the user to create the components they wish to use in the circuit, and this is where I hit the problem:

Code:
	cout<< endl 
		<< "Please create the components you wish to use." << endl
		<< "Enter R for a resistor, C for a capacitor, I for" << endl
		<< "an inductor or enter 'S' to stop creating components." << endl;

char componentType;
	cin >> componentType;

// vector of base class pointers to store the components
	vector <component*> componentLibrary;

switch(componentType)
	{
	case 'r':
	case 'R':
		{
		cout << "What is the resistance of the resistor in ohms?" << endl;
		double tempResistance;
		cin >> tempResistance;
                // create resistor according to user input
		resistor R(tempResistance);
		// place resistor in component library
		componentLibrary.push_back(&R);

break;
		}
	case 'c':
	case 'C':
		{
			cout << "What is the capacitance in farads?" << endl;
                ... etc
	}

cout << "Test Output:" << endl;
	cout << componentLibrary[0]->getImpedance() << endl; // code fails here.

I know why this code fails, because the resistor object goes out of scope when the switch statement ends so the component library doesn't contain anything...

what I'm not sure about is how to get around this in a simple way?? I would hit the same problem with IF statements...

Technology news on Phys.org
I assume resistor is a class derived from a base class component. Instead of
Code:
resistor R(tempResistance);
you want
Code:
component* p = new resistor(tempResistance);

(Later on you'll need something to delete the components).

Allocate the resistor object dynamically using 'new'. Then it won't disappear on you automatically at the end of scope.

Code:
resistor *resistorPtr = new resistor(tempResistance);
componentLibrary.push_back(resistorPtr);

I think you can combine these steps and eliminate the pointer variable:

Code:
componentLibrary.push_back(new resistor(tempResistance));

You need to be very careful about memory management with this technique, though. If you ever want to "throw away" a component, you need to explicitly release the memory that it uses. For example, if you need to remove a component from the "library", without putting the component somewhere else:

Code:
delete componentLibrary[k];  // Releases the memory that componentLibrary[k] points to.
// Next, do whatever you do that removes the pointer itself from the vector.

Otherwise you have a "memory leak." The now-inaccessible memory chunk consumes some of your memory space until the program finishes, at which point the program's entire memory space reverts back to the operating system.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! Working fine now.

Thank you for sharing your program and the issue you encountered. It seems like you have identified the problem correctly, as the objects created within the switch statement will go out of scope once the switch statement ends. This is known as a scope problem and is a common issue in programming.

To solve this issue, you can use dynamic memory allocation to create the objects on the heap instead of the stack. This way, the objects will not be destroyed when they go out of scope and can be accessed later in your program.

You can use the 'new' keyword to dynamically allocate memory for your objects and store the pointer to the object in your componentLibrary vector. Your code would look something like this:

switch(componentType)
{
case 'r':
case 'R':
{
cout << "What is the resistance of the resistor in ohms?" << endl;
double tempResistance;
cin >> tempResistance;

// dynamically allocate memory for resistor object
resistor* R = new resistor(tempResistance);

// place pointer to resistor object in componentLibrary
componentLibrary.push_back(R);

break;
}
case 'c':
case 'C':
{
cout << "What is the capacitance in farads?" << endl;
... etc
}
}

This way, the objects will not be destroyed when the switch statement ends and you can access them later in your program. Just make sure to properly deallocate the memory using the 'delete' keyword when you no longer need the objects.

I hope this helps with your scope problem and allows you to continue working on your program. Keep up the good work!

Related to Scope problem when filling a vector of base class pointers.

1. What is a "scope problem" when filling a vector of base class pointers?

A "scope problem" refers to the issue of memory management when storing pointers to objects of different derived classes in a vector of base class pointers. This can occur when the objects are dynamically allocated and the vector goes out of scope, causing all the pointers to be deleted and potentially leading to memory leaks.

2. How can a "scope problem" be avoided when filling a vector of base class pointers?

To avoid a "scope problem", it is important to properly manage memory by using smart pointers or manually deleting the objects before the vector goes out of scope. Alternatively, using a vector of smart pointers or a container that automatically manages memory, such as std::vector>, can also prevent scope problems.

3. What are some potential consequences of a "scope problem" when filling a vector of base class pointers?

The consequences of a "scope problem" can include memory leaks, where allocated memory is not properly released, causing the program to use more memory than necessary. This can lead to performance issues and potentially crashes if the program runs out of memory. Additionally, if the vector is used to access the objects, it may result in accessing invalid or deleted objects.

4. Can using a vector of base class pointers cause a "scope problem" even if the objects are not dynamically allocated?

Yes, a "scope problem" can still occur even if the objects are not dynamically allocated. This is because the vector of base class pointers only holds pointers to the objects and does not take ownership or responsibility for managing the memory. Therefore, if the vector goes out of scope, it will still delete the pointers and potentially cause issues if the objects are not properly deleted beforehand.

5. Are there any best practices for managing the "scope problem" when filling a vector of base class pointers?

Some best practices for managing the "scope problem" include using smart pointers, properly managing memory by manually deleting objects, and using containers that automatically manage memory. It is also important to consider the ownership of the objects and ensure that the vector does not take ownership if the objects are not dynamically allocated.