SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with differential scattering cross section, specifically a "division by zero" error. The attached work includes various parameters such as charge, mass, and impact parameter. The homework equations involve calculating the scattering angles for Rutherford and Thomson scattering. The attempt at a solution involves using a formula to calculate the differential scattering cross section and plotting the results.
Rika

Homework Statement

I have a problem with differential scattering cross section. It says: "division by zero". My full work is in attachment.

q = 2; - charge of particle
Q = 79; - charge of nucleus
m = 4; - mass of particle
M = 197; - mass of nucleus
R = 2.72; - nucleus radius

N = 30; - number of particles
bmin = 1; - impact parameter
bmax = 3;
vp = 50; - incident speed

x_rutherford - coordinates
y_rutherford

fi - scattering angle (rutherford)
fith - scattering angle (thomson)

dbdfi - db/dfi (rutherford)
dbdfith - db/dfith (thomson)

rpc - differential scattering cross section (rutherford)
rpcth - differential scattering cross section (thomson)

Homework Equations

if ((x_rutherford($)-x_rutherford($-1)) >= 0 ) do
fi(j) = 180*atan(abs(y_rutherford($)-y_rutherford($-1))/abs(x_rutherford($)-x_rutherford($-1)))/%pi;
else
fi(j) = 180 - 180*atan(abs(y_rutherford($)-y_rutherford($-1))/abs(x_rutherford($)-x_rutherford($-1)))/%pi;
end

if ((x_thomson($)-x_thomson($-1)) >= 0 ) do
fith(j) = 180*atan(abs(y_thomson($)-y_thomson($-1))/abs(x_thomson($)-x_thomson($-1)))/%pi;
else
fith(j) = 180 - 180*atan(abs(y_thomson($)-y_thomson($-1))/abs(x_thomson($)-x_thomson($-1)))/%pi;
end

The Attempt at a Solution

dbbfi=zeros(b);
for i = 3 : length(b)-2 do
dbdfi(i) = (b(i-2) - 8*b(i-1) + 8*b(i+1) - b(i+2))/(3*( abs(fi(i-2)-fi(i-1))+abs(fi(i-1)-fi(i))+abs(fi(i)-fi(i+1))+abs(fi(i+1)-fi(i+2)) ));
end
dbdfi(i+1)=0;
dbdfi(i+2)=0;

dbbfith=zeros(b);
for i = 3 : length(b)-2 do
dbdfith(i) = (b(i-2) - 8*b(i-1) + 8*b(i+1) - b(i+2))/(3*( abs(fith(i-2)-fith(i-1))+abs(fith(i-1)-fith(i))+abs(fith(i)-fith(i+1))+abs(fith(i+1)-fith(i+2)) ));
end
dbdfith(i+1)=0;
dbdfith(i+2)=0;

rpc = 2*%pi*b'.*dbdfi;
rpcth = 2*%pi*b'.*dbdfith;

Attachments

• full.doc
    30 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
plot2d(b,rpc,style=2);plot2d(b,rpcth,style=6);xlabel('impact parameter');ylabel('Differential scattering cross section, m^2/sr');

Related to SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model

1. What is the SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model?

The SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model is a scientific model that describes the structure of an atom. It was proposed by Joseph John Thomson and Ernest Rutherford in the early 20th century.

2. How does the SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model differ from previous models of the atom?

The SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model differs from previous models of the atom by proposing that the atom is not a solid, indivisible sphere, but rather composed of smaller subatomic particles, specifically electrons and a positively charged nucleus.

3. What evidence supports the SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model?

The main evidence supporting the SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model is the gold foil experiment conducted by Rutherford and his team. This experiment showed that most of the mass and positive charge of an atom is concentrated in a small, dense nucleus, with electrons orbiting around it.

4. What are the limitations of the SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model?

The SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model does not account for the existence of neutrons in the nucleus, as they were not discovered until later. It also does not explain the stability of atoms and the arrangement of electrons in specific energy levels.

5. How did the SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model contribute to our understanding of the atom?

The SCILAB - Thomson and Rutherford model was a significant step towards understanding the structure of the atom and paved the way for further developments in atomic theory. It also helped to disprove the previously accepted plum pudding model and led to the development of the modern atomic model.