What is the true nature of Space and the Universe?

• Thread starter HIGHLYTOXIC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: Space replyIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "Space" and "Universe" and questions what they are in the real sense. The conversation touches on various theories and dimensions, but there is no clear answer as to what space is made of. It is a big uncertainty and a topic that is still being explored and discussed.
HIGHLYTOXIC
What is actually "Space"?

Sorry if you think that this is the most stupid question around, but i think its the most obvious!

What is actually this "Space" and "Universe"?

I know relativity, quantum physics, big bang , string theory etc.etc... but really this question got me!
From where is this "Space" came? I hope that u can get me, i mean i don't want a basic definition like "Space is Empty space!" , what i want is the answer to the question that " what made them and what are they in real sense".

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Good question. No simple or complete answer though. The Universe is all of existence. It is characterized by certain dimensionalities...one dimension being a one-way timeline and three dimensions of space about which matter and energy can move. Space and Time are the fabric of the Universe. But it is not really known what those dimensions are "made of". Perhaps there is some fundamental particle or string or something we can point to. But for now, it's still a big uncertainty.

Space reply

I may not understand your question completely so forgive me if this is "off topic." I presume that you are asking what is the ether or the empty (only a few atoms per cubic kilometers) regions inside our expanding (we assume) universe. "beyond the shell of the universe, is the realm of the unknowable (for those not "religious").

We all know that space isn't empty, there is no proof of what space is but if you like I could tell you what I think it is. Be aware that it is in the realm of the "metaphysical" with a dash of basic Quantum theory thrown in. I will continue you would like?

I agree that space is not empty. We know that gravity, light, radiatation fields, exist in space, but as Phobos said, a complete answer to what space is has not been arrived at yet.

1. What is space?

Space is the vast, three-dimensional expanse that exists beyond Earth's atmosphere. It is made up of various objects, including stars, planets, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

2. How big is space?

The size of space is nearly impossible to measure. It is constantly expanding and has no known boundaries. The observable universe is estimated to be around 93 billion light-years in diameter, but it is likely much larger than that.

3. What is the difference between space and the universe?

Space refers to the physical expanse that exists beyond Earth's atmosphere, while the universe is the totality of all matter, energy, and space itself. The universe is constantly expanding into space.

4. How is space studied and explored?

Space is primarily studied and explored through scientific observation using telescopes, spacecraft, and other instruments. This includes studying the properties and movements of celestial bodies, as well as collecting data on the origins and evolution of the universe.

5. Is there anything beyond space?

The concept of "beyond space" is highly debated and remains a mystery. Some scientists suggest that there could be multiple dimensions or parallel universes beyond our known space, but there is currently no concrete evidence to support this idea.