Science Fair, pressure to break a bone

In summary, the conversation involved trying to calculate the psi that a bone experienced when a hexagon weight was dropped on it at different heights. The area of the weight was calculated to be 13.5 square inches and a formula was needed to convert the force in Newtons to psi. It was suggested that a more accurate measurement could be obtained by pushing down on the bone with a known weight rather than dropping something and trying to calculate the pressure.
Tantastic

Homework Statement

Okay, basically I had a bone in ballistic gels, and I dropped a hexagon (6 sided) weight with the measurements of 1 and 1/2 inches per side from 1 feet, 1 1/2 feet and 2 feet on the ballistic gel enclosed bone. Basically I will need a formula to calculate the psi that he bone experienced.

Edit: I calculated the area of the weight to be 13 1/2 square inches, but please double check this.

According to http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/flobi.html , the N (Newton?) is 1599, can we convert it to PSI?

Homework Equations

How much PSI did the dropping weight cause on the bone?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find a formula to calculate it, but was not really sucessful.

Edit: Okay, so the surface area is 13.5 square inches.. i do not know what formula to use to calculate PSI from this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't calculate it. If the bone is stiff and doesn't bend a lot, it would exert a huge force; if it does bend a lot, it would exert a small force. You really need to have something push down on the bone with its weight rather than dropping something and hoping to calculate pressure that way.

pounds x 4.4 = Newtons

1599/4.4 = pounds

Pounds/Area(in^2) = psi

Related to Science Fair, pressure to break a bone

1. What is a science fair project?

A science fair project is a hands-on experiment or investigation that is typically done by students in a school setting. It allows students to explore and learn about a specific scientific topic or question.

2. How does pressure affect bone strength?

Pressure can affect bone strength in several ways. Increased pressure on a bone can cause it to become denser and stronger over time. However, too much pressure can also cause a bone to fracture or break. This is because bones are constantly undergoing a process called remodeling, where old bone tissue is replaced with new tissue. Too much pressure can disrupt this process and weaken the bone.

3. What factors contribute to bone strength?

Several factors can contribute to bone strength, including genetics, nutrition, and physical activity. Genetics play a role in determining bone size and shape, while proper nutrition, specifically adequate intake of calcium and vitamin D, is important for bone density. Regular physical activity, particularly weight-bearing exercises, can also help improve bone strength.

4. How can I test the strength of a bone?

There are a few ways to test the strength of a bone, including using a machine called a bone densitometer, which measures bone mineral density. You can also use a simple test known as the "thump test," where you lightly tap on a bone and listen for a hollow or solid sound. A hollow sound may indicate a weakened bone. However, the most accurate way to test bone strength is through a bone density scan performed by a medical professional.

5. How can I prevent bone fractures?

To prevent bone fractures, it is important to maintain strong bones through a healthy lifestyle. This includes eating a well-balanced diet rich in calcium and vitamin D, engaging in regular weight-bearing exercises, and avoiding unhealthy habits like smoking and excessive alcohol consumption. It is also important to take precautions when participating in activities that put pressure on the bones, such as sports, to reduce the risk of injury.