Science fair - Formula for friction to thermal energy?

In summary, the goal of this experiment is to find the force of friction, and how it relates to the amount of thermal energy produced. Experiments were done in order to find the equation between the two.
AtomicNucleus

Homework Statement

For science fair, I'm doing a project in which we are trying to calculate the force of a thermometer being moved normally, versus a thermometer being slowed down by a high-friction material. The thermometer will (Potentially) read the amount of thermal energy produced by the friction, and we can then calculate the formula between the force of friction, and the thermal energy produced.

Homework Equations

Has the formula for the relation between the amount of friction and thermal energy already been experimented and noted? (This is my actual question for the PhysicsForums community)

The Attempt at a Solution

Experimentation (Details in part one).

Physics news on Phys.org
AtomicNucleus said:

Homework Statement

For science fair, I'm doing a project in which we are trying to calculate the force of a thermometer being moved normally, versus a thermometer being slowed down by a high-friction material. The thermometer will (Potentially) read the amount of thermal energy produced by the friction, and we can then calculate the formula between the force of friction, and the thermal energy produced.

Homework Equations

Has the formula for the relation between the amount of friction and thermal energy already been experimented and noted? (This is my actual question for the PhysicsForums community)

The Attempt at a Solution

Experimentation (Details in part one).

Welcome to the PF.

What is meant by a "thermometer being moved normally"? Thermometers are normally fixed in position.

And as for when you are doing work on the thermometer by pushing it against friction, do you know the equation for Work as a function of Force and Distance? If you know the work done on the thermometer, what can you say about its energy? And how does that relate to its temperature?

By "The thermometer being moved normally", I mean measuring pulling it with a spring scale, without applying friction. Due to the energy having to have an outlet, as the energy does not simply disperse, I'm calculating the transfer from the energy produced by friction, to thermal energy. I do understand the concept of W=F×D, but the expirement will solely be measuring force in Newtons.

AtomicNucleus said:
By "The thermometer being moved normally", I mean measuring pulling it with a spring scale, without applying friction. Due to the energy having to have an outlet, as the energy does not simply disperse, I'm calculating the transfer from the energy produced by friction, to thermal energy. I do understand the concept of W=F×D, but the expirement will solely be measuring force in Newtons.

So when you pull it with some force in Newtons against friction for some distance, you do some work which goes into warming both the thermometer and the material you pulled it across. How can you estimage how that warming divides between the thermometer and the friction material? Once you estimate the fraction of the energy that went into warming the thermometer, what other factors do you need to take into account to figure out how much the temperature of the thermometer will increase?

berkeman said:
So when you pull it with some force in Newtons against friction for some distance, you do some work which goes into warming both the thermometer and the material you pulled it across. How can you estimage how that warming divides between the thermometer and the friction material? Once you estimate the fraction of the energy that went into warming the thermometer, what other factors do you need to take into account to figure out how much the temperature of the thermometer will increase?

Well, I think my description may have been unclear, but I'm measuring the force of friction by testing 'With Friction' versus 'No Friction', to first, determine the force of the friction by the addition onto the spring scale. When the bottom of the thermometer rubs against the high-friction material, it also creates thermal energy, that will also be recorded. I do this with different forces of friction, and measure the thermal energy and the friction. I then find similarities between the force of friction, and thermal energy.
This makes a formula like: (Force of friction)x N =(Thermal energy)°
Example: 5N×1.345=6.725°, because I found that the similarity was F×1.345

AtomicNucleus said:
Well, I think my description may have been unclear, but I'm measuring the force of friction by testing 'With Friction' versus 'No Friction', to first, determine the force of the friction by the addition onto the spring scale. When the bottom of the thermometer rubs against the high-friction material, it also creates thermal energy, that will also be recorded. I do this with different forces of friction, and measure the thermal energy and the friction. I then find similarities between the force of friction, and thermal energy.
This makes a formula like: (Force of friction)x N =(Thermal energy)°
Example: 5N×1.345=6.725°, because I found that the similarity was F×1.345

What's N? You use it in two different ways, I think.

Can you also post the full lab assignment so we can see what-all is involved, and what is expected in the report?

I think it might work...

With some qualification, it might be reasonable to assume that the temperature (T) indicated on the thermometer is proportional to the amount of frictional energy (Ef) liberated.

So you could try writing an equation such as..

T = K*Ef + C

where K and C are some constants that account for unknowns such as heat energy lost to the air or the material the thermometer is being rubbed against. K would also account for the heat capacity of the thermometer. K and C would have appropriate and different units. C might be negative.

In which case you can you repeat the experiment several times and record T and Ef, where Ef = force * distance.

Then plot a graph of T vs Ef and if it's a straight line you can use it to work out the constants K and C.

You would need to take precautions to ensure the thermometer, and indeed the whole rig, had the same stable temperature before each run.

Edit: If it's not a straight line you will have to find a new equation that might explain the relationship.

Related to Science fair - Formula for friction to thermal energy?

1. What is the formula for calculating friction to thermal energy?

The formula for calculating friction to thermal energy is: F = μNΔx, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, N is the normal force, and Δx is the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is friction related to thermal energy?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces. When objects rub against each other, they generate heat due to the friction between them. This heat is then transferred into thermal energy, causing an increase in temperature.

3. What factors affect the amount of thermal energy produced by friction?

The amount of thermal energy produced by friction depends on several factors, including the type of surface materials, the force of the applied pressure, and the speed and duration of the rubbing motion. The rougher the surfaces, the greater the force and speed of motion, and the longer the rubbing occurs, the more thermal energy will be produced.

4. How can the effects of friction on thermal energy be demonstrated in a science fair project?

A common way to demonstrate the effects of friction on thermal energy is by using an experiment that involves rubbing two different materials together for a set amount of time and measuring the temperature change with a thermometer. This can be repeated with different materials and varying conditions to compare the amount of thermal energy produced.

5. Why is understanding the relationship between friction and thermal energy important?

Understanding the relationship between friction and thermal energy is important in many aspects of our daily lives. It helps us to design more efficient machines and reduce wear and tear on surfaces. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, materials science, and thermodynamics.