Schwinger variational principle

In summary, the Schwinger Variational principle is used to calculate the effective Lagrangian in quantum field theory. Effective Lagrangian means the Lagrangian in which you do not have any elementary particles. For example, in QCD, we use this principle to describe the interaction of quarks with gluons and quark-pair generation.
eljose
What is this used for?..i don,t see any utility on using it..:frown: :frown: for Commuting and Anti-commuting operators we would have:

[tex] \delta{<A|B>}=i<A|\delta{S_{AB}}|B> [/tex]

but i don,t see that it provides a way to obtain Schroedinguer equation or the propagator for the theorie...what is SVP used for?..thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schwinger Variational principle [1] (SVP) is used to calculate the effective Lagrangian in quantum field theory. Effective Lagrangian means the Lagrangian in which you do not have any elementary particles.

For example, in QCD, we use this principle to describe the interaction of quarks with gluons and quark-pair generation. More specifically, to describe the formation of quarkpairs in the colour electric field of two valence quarks due to the fact that the QCD vacuum is not empty : VIRTUAL QUARK-PAIR FORMATION.

You want to integrate out the quarkfields because you want a theory that does not depend on such parameters. The quarksfields, here, are just the quarks that make up the QCD vacuum.

1) One starts from the Dirac field equations.

2)The probability of interaction between virtual quarks and the colour electric field is expressed in terms of a Green function.

3) The SVP gives you a way the find this Green function and get the right action and Lagrangian. From that you can calculate how "fast" virtual quarkpairs can become real once you introduce a colour electric field into the QCD vacuum.

regards
marlon

[1] Julian Schwinger, “On Gauge Invariance and Vacuum Polarization”, Phys. Rev. Volume 82, Number 5, 1951

Thank you for your response "Marlon" so as far as i understood you could obtain the Green function (propagator) or at least an approximation to it by minimizing a functional?..(sorry if my reasoning is not true) by the way could you point me a book or a practical toy-example in which SVP is involved?...

eljose said:
Thank you for your response "Marlon" so as far as i understood you could obtain the Green function (propagator) or at least an approximation to it by minimizing a functional?..
You are minimizing the action functional with respect to the quark fields, to get rid of them.

(sorry if my reasoning is not true) by the way could you point me a book or a practical toy-example in which SVP is involved?...

Read the paper, it gives a nice explanation and a practical example.
I also recommend the Books of Weinberg

marlon

Read the QM book by Schwinger himself. I'm sure you'll get answers to your problems. Actually Roger Newton wrote an "Advanced Quantum Physics" book in which he also presented Schwinger's approach to quantum mechanics and its equivalence to "ordinary one" by deriving S's Eq from his postulates.

Daniel.

Related to Schwinger variational principle

1. What is the Schwinger variational principle?

The Schwinger variational principle is a mathematical method used to find the most accurate approximation to the ground state energy of a quantum mechanical system. It is based on the principle of least action and is often used in quantum field theory and quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Schwinger variational principle work?

The Schwinger variational principle works by minimizing the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator with respect to a trial wavefunction. This is done by varying the parameters of the trial wavefunction until the minimum energy is obtained. The resulting wavefunction is then considered the best approximation to the ground state energy of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using the Schwinger variational principle?

One of the main advantages of using the Schwinger variational principle is that it allows for the calculation of approximate ground state energies for complex quantum mechanical systems, which may not have analytic solutions. It also provides a way to improve the accuracy of the approximation by using more sophisticated trial wavefunctions.

4. Are there any limitations to the Schwinger variational principle?

Yes, there are limitations to the Schwinger variational principle. It is only applicable to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom and it may not always converge to the exact ground state energy. Additionally, the choice of trial wavefunction can greatly affect the accuracy of the results.

5. How is the Schwinger variational principle related to the variational method?

The Schwinger variational principle is a specific application of the variational method, which is a general mathematical technique used to find approximate solutions to problems in physics and other fields. The Schwinger variational principle specifically applies the variational method to quantum mechanical systems.