Schwarzschild Solution for Planetary Motion: Find x'i from xi

In summary, the conversation discusses the Schwarzschild solution for planetary motion, which involves a metric tensor and contravariant position vector. The solution can be found by solving the geodesic equation for a constant r and phi.
Philosophaie
Schwarzschild solution for Planetary Motion:

##g_{ij}= \left( \begin{array}{cccc}
\frac{1}{(1-(\frac{2*m}{r}))} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & r^2 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & r^2*(sin\theta)^2 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & c^2*(1-\frac{2*m}{r})
\end{array} \right)
##

where ##m=\frac{G*(Mass of Sun)}{c^2}##

My question is how do you find the Resultant Contravarient Position Vector.

##x^{'i} = \left( \begin{array}{c} r' \\ \theta' \\ \phi' \\ t' \end{array} \right)##
given the Contravarient Position Vector.

##x^{i} = \left( \begin{array}{c} r \\ \theta \\ \phi \\ t \end{array} \right)##

from the Schwarzschild Metric Tensor.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Schwarzschild Solution for Planetary Motion: Find x'i from xi

1. What is the Schwarzschild Solution for Planetary Motion?

The Schwarzschild Solution is a mathematical solution to Einstein's field equations that describes the curvature of space-time around a spherically symmetric mass. It is commonly used to study the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.

2. How is the Schwarzschild Solution used to find x'i from xi?

The Schwarzschild Solution allows us to calculate the trajectory of a planet by finding the position of the planet at different times. This is done by solving for x'i, the position of the planet at a later time, using the initial position xi and other known parameters such as the mass of the planet and the gravitational constant.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a planet according to the Schwarzschild Solution?

The trajectory of a planet is affected by the mass of the planet, the mass of the object it is orbiting, and the distance between the two objects. The greater the mass of the planet or the object it is orbiting, the more curvature of space-time and the more elliptical the trajectory will be.

4. Can the Schwarzschild Solution be applied to all planets in our solar system?

Yes, the Schwarzschild Solution can be applied to all planets in our solar system. However, for most planets, the effects of relativity are very small and can be ignored. The Schwarzschild Solution is more commonly used for objects with extremely strong gravitational fields, such as black holes.

5. How accurate is the Schwarzschild Solution in predicting planetary motion?

The Schwarzschild Solution is very accurate in predicting planetary motion, especially for objects with strong gravitational fields. It takes into account relativistic effects that are not accounted for in other equations, such as Newton's law of gravitation. However, for most practical purposes, simpler equations can be used to accurately predict planetary motion without the need for the Schwarzschild Solution.