Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes

• Thread starter mitchell porter
  • Start date
In summary, John H. Schwarz has proposed a conjecture that the world-volume action of a probe D3-brane in an AdS_5 X S^5 background can be interpreted as the exact effective action for U(2), N = 4 super Yang-Mills theory on the Coulomb branch. This is supported by evidence that the brane actions have all of the expected symmetries and dualities. This conjecture also extends to the U(2)_k X U(2)_{-k} ABJM theory and may shed light on the field theory corresponding to M5-branes. If true, this could lead to a deeper understanding of the AdS/CFT correspondence and open up new possibilities for research in
mitchell porter
Gold Member
http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.0305
Highly Effective Actions
John H. Schwarz
(Submitted on 1 Nov 2013)
It is conjectured that the world-volume action of a probe D3-brane in an AdS_5 X S^5 background of type IIB superstring theory, with one unit of flux, can be reinterpreted as the exact effective action (or highly effective action) for U(2), N = 4 super Yang-Mills theory on the Coulomb branch. An analogous conjecture for U(2)_k X U(2)_{-k} ABJM theory is also presented. The main evidence supporting these conjectures is that the brane actions have all of the expected symmetries and dualities. Highly effective actions have general coordinate invariance, even though they describe nongravitational theories. In the AdS/CFT paper that launched a thousand cites, Maldacena proposed an equivalence between three superconformal field theories, and three string-theory backgrounds of the form "AdS times something", with a stack of branes being the mediating concept. One is to think of a stack of branes as like an extended black hole, with the AdS space being the interior of the black hole, and the field theory being the quantum theory of the branes. The fluctuations in the field theory, are the fluctuations of the branes, and these create the AdS space around the branes, and all the objects that can exist in it. (The impressionism of this descriptions reflects the mostly intuitive nature of my own understanding of AdS/CFT. But I think it is broadly correct.)

However, Maldacena was able to specify the field theory only for one of his dualities - N=4 super-Yang-Mills (lately famous again, for having yet another description, as the amplituhedron), dual to strings in AdS5 x S5, the AdS space around a stack of D3-branes. Years later, in 2008, the field theory for another of these original dualities was found, this time for AdS4 x S7, the space around a stack of M2-branes. This theory is known as ABJM, after its four discoverers; the M is Maldacena himself.

But the nature of ABJM theory was anticipated years before, in a paper by John Schwarz, who proposed that the dual theory for M2-branes would be a Chern-Simons field coupled to matter. This was an impressive contribution for someone present at the creation of string theory, thirty years earlier. Schwarz was co-inventor of the "Neveu-Schwarz sector" of the superstring in the 1970s, he and Michael Green launched the 1980s string revolution with their discovery of the anomaly cancellation, and in the early 2000s, he managed to guess what the field dual of a stack of M2-branes would look like.

Now it's 2013 and he has presented what may be another inspired guess. That's why I'm hyping this paper a little, despite its very preliminary character, and despite the fact that I only have a slender grasp of its significance at this point. There seem to be two things to say about it. First, it's a refinement of the duality between field theory and strings in AdS space; Schwarz says that a particular form of the field theory - its "Coulomb branch" - corresponds to the presence of a particular brane in the AdS space. Second, Schwarz says that these ideas were motivated by an attempt to make progress with the third of Maldacena's original examples, the field theory corresponding to a stack of M5-branes. I don't see how that connection works yet, but I'll report any progress in understanding in this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I find this conjecture by Schwarz to be very intriguing and potentially groundbreaking. The fact that he was able to predict the dual theory for M2-branes before it was even discovered is a testament to his deep understanding of string theory and its connections to field theory.

If this conjecture is true, it would provide a deeper understanding of the AdS/CFT correspondence and how branes play a role in this duality. It also opens up the possibility for further exploration and discovery of new dualities between field theories and string theory backgrounds.

I am particularly interested in how this conjecture may shed light on the field theory corresponding to M5-branes, as Schwarz alludes to in his paper. This could potentially lead to new insights and developments in our understanding of M-theory.

Overall, I think this is a very exciting and promising direction for research in the field of string theory and its connections to field theory. I look forward to seeing how this conjecture develops and potentially revolutionizes our understanding of these fundamental theories.

1. What are Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes?

Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes are mathematical expressions that describe the dynamics of branes in the context of Maldacena's AdS/CFT correspondence. They are used to study the behavior of branes in a particular type of string theory known as type IIB supergravity.

2. How do Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes relate to AdS/CFT correspondence?

Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes are an essential ingredient in the AdS/CFT correspondence, which is a duality between a gravitational theory in anti-de Sitter (AdS) space and a conformal field theory (CFT) on the boundary of that space. These actions allow for the study of the behavior of branes in the AdS space, which is crucial for understanding the duality.

3. Can Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes be used for other types of branes?

Yes, Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes can be generalized to describe the dynamics of various types of branes in string theory, such as D-branes and NS5-branes. They are also applicable to different backgrounds, not just AdS space, making them a versatile tool for studying brane dynamics.

4. What is the significance of studying Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes?

Studying Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the AdS/CFT correspondence and the behavior of branes in string theory. This knowledge has implications for many areas of physics, including quantum gravity, black hole physics, and high energy particle physics.

5. Are there any ongoing developments or applications of Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes?

Yes, there is ongoing research in this area, with scientists exploring new ways to use Schwarz actions for Maldacena branes to gain insights into the AdS/CFT correspondence and other fields of physics. Some recent developments include the study of brane intersections and their relation to black hole thermodynamics.