Schrodinger's Equation - Step Potential

In summary, Daniel is asking if he can use the cosine and sine of the barrier distance to solve for the energy of the particle. He has two general solutions, one using the cosine and sine of the barrier distance and one using the continuity requirements. He also tries to find the expressions of the energy in terms of the coefficients of reflection and transmission, but doesn't seem to be able to get them to equal one. He says that any text on quantum mechanics that he has read tells him that this problem should be solved, and provides a link to a thread that may help.
irony of truth
In the left side of the barrier, the potential energy V(x)= 0, while on the right side of the barrier, V(x) = V. Given that the total energy of the particle in such a system has a total energy E < V..

a. What are my acceptable solutions?
On the left side:

Should I include the cos kx and sin kx alone?

b. How do I show that /A/ + /B/ = 1? Are these absolute values of the expressions A and B or /A/ = A*A and /B/ = B*B?

I got A = C/2 (1 + iq/p) and B = C/2 ( 1 - iq/p)

Physics news on Phys.org
On the lest side,it's just a combination of complex exponentials...What do you mean "include ...alone"...?

As for the second,i assume you refer to the coefficients of reflection & transmission.Great.But please,use this CORRECT expression:
[tex] A^{*}A=|A|^{2} [/tex]

I don't know who "C" is.Could you be more specific...?

Daniel.

Hello sir...

what I meant about cos px and sin px (not k) alone is that there are 3 solutions... first is that expression A cos px + B sin px, second is cosp x and third is sin px on the left side of the barrier... the right side involves only e^(-qx).

Hmm... I am referring to my 2 general solutions A cos px + B sin px ( or Ae^(ipx) + Be^(-ipx) ) and Ce^(-px) using then the continuity requirements... I imposed the \psi(x) and the first derivative of \psi at x = 0.

Thus resulting to A + B = C and ipA - ipb = -qC

then I tried to find the expressions of A and B in terms of C.. which are A = C/2 (1 + iq/p) and B = C/2 ( 1 - iq/p) respectively.

But I don't know why [tex] A^{*}A=|A|^{2} [/tex] + [tex] B^{*}B=|B|^{2} [/tex] don't equal to one?

irony of truth said:
Hello sir...

what I meant about cos px and sin px (not k) alone is that there are 3 solutions... first is that expression A cos px + B sin px, second is cosp x and third is sin px on the left side of the barrier... the right side involves only e^(-qx).

Hmm... I am referring to my 2 general solutions A cos px + B sin px ( or Ae^(ipx) + Be^(-ipx) ) and Ce^(-px) using then the continuity requirements... I imposed the \psi(x) and the first derivative of \psi at x = 0.

Thus resulting to A + B = C and ipA - ipb = -qC

then I tried to find the expressions of A and B in terms of C.. which are A = C/2 (1 + iq/p) and B = C/2 ( 1 - iq/p) respectively.

But I don't know why [tex] A^{*}A=|A|^{2} [/tex] + [tex] B^{*}B=|B|^{2} [/tex] don't equal to one?

Why would they...?What' the physical justification behind your requirement...? :bugeye:
Now,that u've managed to express 2 coefficients in terms of a third,u can resort to the definition of the probablilty currents and transmission and reflection coefficients...

Isn't this what you're looking for,or what else...?

Daniel.

So I will not add both A = C/2 (1 + iq/p) and B = C/2 ( 1 - iq/p) then.

I got this T = 4(q/p)/(1 + iq/p)^2 and R = /(1 - iq/p) / (1 + iq/p)/^2 ...

My problem is here is that will they add up to 1?

In square modulus,they MUST,viz.

[tex] |T|^{2}+|R|^{2}=1 [/tex]

Else,it would mean your calculations are incorrect.

Daniel.

Any, I repeat any QM text does this problem. It will be spelled out right in front of your eyes if you simply take the trouble to read. We are not talking rocket science here, just very basic stuff.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

to irony of truth

Hi, I'm just passing through, and I don't have much time (just enough to quickly browse).

If you are still having some questions, irony of truth, you may want to look at the thread below, in particular posts #2 and #10:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=36076

If look, I hope it helps. :smile:
________

EDIT:
... oops! :blushing:
I see you're looking at the E < V case. My posts were for E > V.

Last edited:

Related to Schrodinger's Equation - Step Potential

1. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical expression used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given environment. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the probability of finding a particle in a particular location at a given time.

2. What is a step potential in Schrodinger's equation?

A step potential is a sudden change in the potential energy of a particle in a quantum system. It is represented by a step function in Schrodinger's equation and can occur when a particle encounters a barrier or boundary in its movement.

3. How does Schrodinger's equation describe a step potential?

Schrodinger's equation uses the step function to account for the change in potential energy at the barrier or boundary. The equation takes into account the different potential energies on either side of the step and predicts the probability of the particle's behavior in response to the step potential.

4. What do the solutions to Schrodinger's equation for a step potential represent?

The solutions to Schrodinger's equation for a step potential represent the wave function of the particle. This wave function describes the probability of finding the particle at a given location and time, taking into account the effects of the step potential.

5. Why is Schrodinger's equation for a step potential important?

Schrodinger's equation for a step potential is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum particles in response to a change in potential energy. This has many practical applications, such as in the development of electronic devices and understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.