Schrodinger Equation problem

In summary, we have a free particle with mass m moving in a one-dimensional space in the interval 0<=x with energy E and a rigid wall at x=0. The time independent wave function G(x) that satisfies these conditions is G(x)=xAexp(ikx), where k is the wave vector of motion. The relation between k and E is that k is directly proportional to the square root of E. The solution for any k is sinkx for x>0 and 0 for x<0, up to a normalization constant. The general solution can be written as either A sin(kx) + B cos(kx) or C e^(ikx) + D e^(-ikx), where A,
Ed Quanta
Ok, so suppose there is a free particle of mass m that moves in a one-dimensional space in the interval 0<=x, with energy E. There is a rigid wall at x=0. Write down a time independent wave function G(x) which satisfies these conditions, in terms of x and k, where k is the wave vector of motion. State the relation between k and E.

So what do I do? The solution G(x)=xAexp(ikx) seems to obey the one boundary condition we have here, but can this be correct?And could this possibly be an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian for this system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ed Quanta said:
Ok, so suppose there is a free particle of mass m that moves in a one-dimensional space in the interval 0<=x, with energy E. There is a rigid wall at x=0. Write down a time independent wave function G(x) which satisfies these conditions, in terms of x and k, where k is the wave vector of motion. State the relation between k and E.

So what do I do? The solution G(x)=xAexp(ikx) seems to obey the one boundary condition we have here, but can this be correct?And could this possibly be an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian for this system?

Did you check if your wavefunction satisfies Schroedinger's equation?

There are two issues: the wavefunction must obey Schroed's equation and it must obey the boundary conditions. But you should *first* solve the equation and *then* impose the boundary conditions. If you try the other way around (writing functions which satisfy the bc's and then plugging them in the equation to see if it is satisfied) is terribly terribly inefficient! Go the other way around. Solving the equation for a free particle (V=0) is easy. Then your general solution will be a linear combination of the solutions found in the previous step. And then you impose the boundary conditions. (But your solution will not be normalizable which I hope is ok with you).

Pat

The solution for any k is sinkx for x>0 and 0 for x<0, up to a normalization constant.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

(X exp(ikx) dos not satisfy the SE)

Hey reilly, what about when x =0? Here is my problem.

Aexp(ikx) is the solution to the space component of the Schrodinger Differential equation. But if I impose the boundary condition that the wave function =0 when x=0, then A must equal zero and thus we have a trivial solution.

I recognize that the the step function when x>=0, sinkx
when x<0, 0 works here

But did you just guess at this solution? Or is there a way to get the general solution Aexp(ikx) and eliminate the cos part of the solution. Sorry if I am being slow.

And nrqed, I am fine with the solution not being normalizable, I just haven't seen any wave functions with discontinuities before in my limited studies.

Thanks to both of you.

Ed Quanta said:
Hey reilly, what about when x =0? Here is my problem.

Aexp(ikx) is the solution to the space component of the Schrodinger Differential equation. But if I impose the boundary condition that the wave function =0 when x=0, then A must equal zero and thus we have a trivial solution.

I recognize that the the step function when x>=0, sinkx
when x<0, 0 works here

But did you just guess at this solution? Or is there a way to get the general solution Aexp(ikx) and eliminate the cos part of the solution. Sorry if I am being slow.

And nrqed, I am fine with the solution not being normalizable, I just haven't seen any wave functions with discontinuities before in my limited studies.

Thanks to both of you.

It is not a guess. If you consider the SE in the region where V = infinity, the only solution that makes sense is psi=0. In the region where V=0, the general solution (it's a second order ordinary DE (we are considering the time independent SE), so the general solution contains two arbitrary coefficients)
can be written in two equivalent forms

[itex] \psi(x) = A sin(kx) + B cos (kx) [/itex]

or

[itex] \psi(x) = C e^{i kx} + D e^{-ikx} [/itex]

where, of course, one could relate A, B to C, D.

Do you see that these are the most general solutions to the SE when V=0? That's the key point. It's not a guess. For V=0 the SE is pretty much the simplest nontrivial ordinary DE that one can write down. If you have some backgorund on differential eqs, this will be obvious to you. If you have no background in DE's, you should look carefully at the equation and let us know if you don't see that this is the solution.

Then you impose the boundary condition, [itex] \psi(0) = 0 [/itex]. With the first form, the solution is obvious, B=0. In the second form, you must impose C=-D which gives you back something proportional to a sine function.

Regards

Pat

Related to Schrodinger Equation problem

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation problem?

The Schrodinger Equation problem is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926.

2. What is the significance of the Schrodinger Equation problem?

The Schrodinger Equation problem is significant because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It allows us to predict the probability of finding a particle in a specific location and provides a foundation for many modern technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

3. What is the difference between the time-dependent and time-independent Schrodinger Equation problem?

The time-dependent Schrodinger Equation problem takes into account the change of a quantum system over time, while the time-independent Schrodinger Equation problem only considers the stationary states of a system. In other words, the time-independent equation is used to find the energy levels of a system, while the time-dependent equation describes how those energy levels change over time.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Schrodinger Equation problem?

The Schrodinger Equation problem assumes that particles behave like waves and that the total energy of a system is conserved. It also assumes that the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system, is a linear operator.

5. How is the Schrodinger Equation problem solved?

The Schrodinger Equation problem is solved by finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian operator. These eigenvalues represent the possible energy levels of a system, and the corresponding eigenfunctions describe the probability distribution of finding a particle in a certain state. The solutions to the equation can also be used to calculate the time evolution of a system.