Schrodinger equation for close and opens system

In summary, the Schrödinger equation is the same for closed and open systems, but for an open system you need to solve it using the densitiy matrix while for a closed system you usually can solve it for the wave function itself. approximation of an open system using a non-hermitian Hamiltonian and use that in the Schrödinger equation, and have a non-unitary evolution of the wave function.
brajeshbeec
How do we differentiate the solution of Schrodinger equation for closed and open system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The Schrödinger equation is the same. But for an open system, you have to solve it using the density matrix, whereas for a closed system you usually can solve it for the wave function itself.

DrClaude said:
The Schrödinger equation is the same. But for an open system, you have to solve it using the density matrix [...]
I wouldn't put it that way. The term "Schrödinger equation" should be reserved for closed systems with their unitarian dynamics where no dissipation and decoherence occur.

kith said:
I wouldn't put it that way. The term "Schrödinger equation" should be reserved for closed systems with their unitarian dynamics where no dissipation and decoherence occur.

I'm not sure that I agree with you, but I did misspeak in my previous post. The time evolution of density matrix is governed by the Liouville-von Neumann equation
$$
i \hbar \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} = \left[ \hat{H}, \rho \right]
$$
That said, you can also approximate an open system using a non-Hermitian Hamiltonian and use that in the Schrödinger equation, and have a non-unitary evolution of the wave function.

DrClaude said:
That said, you can also approximate an open system using a non-Hermitian Hamiltonian and use that in the Schrödinger equation, and have a non-unitary evolution of the wave function.
True, I didn't think about this. But you will only get dissipation with this, not decoherence. This doesn't change if you use the von Neumann equation (which is derived from the Schrödinger equation). Pure states are still mapped to pure states and the entropy doesn't change.

In order to take into account all effects in open systems you need more general dynamical equations like the Lindblad equation. Compared with the von Neumann equation it has an additional term D(ρ) which induces dissipation and decoherence. I think it's also more natural than using non-hermitian Hamiltonians because you can derive it from the unitarian dynamics of the combined system "open system + environment" under certain assumptions.

Related to Schrodinger equation for close and opens system

1. What is the Schrodinger equation for a closed system?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time. In a closed system, the total energy is conserved and there is no external influence acting on the system.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation different for an open system?

In an open system, energy can enter or leave the system, causing it to change over time. This means that the Schrodinger equation for an open system includes terms that account for the flow of energy in and out of the system.

3. What does the Schrodinger equation tell us about a quantum system?

The Schrodinger equation provides information about the possible states of a quantum system and how they evolve over time. It can be used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes when a measurement is made on the system.

4. Can the Schrodinger equation be solved exactly?

In most cases, the Schrodinger equation cannot be solved exactly due to its complexity. However, there are certain simplified systems for which exact solutions are possible, and numerical methods can be used to approximate solutions for more complex systems.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger equation is used in a wide range of fields, including quantum mechanics, chemistry, and materials science. It is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, and has led to numerous technological advancements such as transistors and lasers.