Schools and theoretical physics

In summary, the speaker has been accepted to UCSD, UCSB, and UC Davis with a major in physics. They are interested in theoretical physics and the integration of relativity and quantum mechanics. They are unsure of their specific focus but enjoy working with math equations and quickly learning new subjects. The speaker is seeking suggestions on which university would be the best fit for their interests and mentions knowing someone at Davis working on a related topic. They clarify that they are looking for suggestions for undergraduate work and lean towards UCSB due to their focus on mathematical physics. However, they acknowledge that at the undergraduate level, they will only take basic physics courses and will need to pursue more specialized topics in graduate school. Out of the three universities, UCSB is
khemist
As many may know, the UC system recently released all of their admission decisions. I was able to get into UCSD, UCSB, and UC Davis, each with the physics major. I want to do theoretical physics (as the title states), or something involving applied mathematics and physics. My interest lies with relativity, quantum mechanics, and the possibility of integrating them together. While I am not completely sure what my end game focus is, I have a good idea that I enjoy working with math equations, and I know that I am able to learn quite quickly if I am interested enough in the subject. Out of the three schools, does anyone have any suggestions about which might fit the best?

I currently know someone at Davis who is investigating electron spin in the applied mathematics program, and that would be an example of something that I might be interested in. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about undergrad or graduate work?

Undergraduate work. I am leaning towards UCSB at the moment because of their focus on mathematical physics, though that is only coming from the physics website of the three universities.

At the undergrad level, you'll take one (maybe two) quantum mechanics courses and no general relativity. Just basic physics. The research you're talking about is grad school or beyond, and the 'holy grail' of physics (a theory of everything). Just start with taking the basic courses, and chances are good you'll eventually pick something a bit more specialized and a bit more realistic. Of those three, UCSB is the only one I know of with a fairly good program. But if you can major in physics at any of them, the any of them is fine.

Congratulations on your admission to UCSD, UCSB, and UC Davis! It's great that you have a strong interest in theoretical physics and are considering pursuing a career in this field. All three of these universities have strong physics programs and offer opportunities for students interested in theoretical physics.

Based on your interests in relativity, quantum mechanics, and integrating them together, I would recommend looking into the research and faculty at each university to see which one aligns more closely with your interests. You mentioned that you know someone at UC Davis who is researching electron spin in the applied mathematics program, so that could be a good starting point for exploring potential research opportunities at that university.

In addition to researching the specific programs and faculty, I would also suggest reaching out to current students or alumni in the physics departments at each university to get a better sense of the program and their experiences. They may be able to provide valuable insights and advice on which university may be the best fit for you.

Overall, I would encourage you to carefully consider your interests and research opportunities at each university to make an informed decision. All three of these universities have strong programs and it ultimately comes down to finding the best fit for you. Good luck with your decision and your future studies in theoretical physics!

Related to Schools and theoretical physics

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and theoretical frameworks to understand and explain the fundamental principles of the natural world.

2. How is theoretical physics related to schools?

Theoretical physics is a subject that is studied and taught in many schools as a part of the curriculum for physics or other related fields such as mathematics or engineering.

3. What are the main concepts covered in theoretical physics?

The main concepts in theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and particle physics.

4. How is theoretical physics applied in real-world situations?

Theoretical physics has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies, understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who study theoretical physics?

Studying theoretical physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, engineering, finance, and technology, among others.