School project help: Window tint in reducing the temperature of car.

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment to investigate the factors that contribute to the uncomfortable heat inside a car that has been under the hot sun. The experiment involved building miniature cars with different levels of tint and observing the temperature inside each car. The results showed that tint does help in reducing heat, but using darker tint did not significantly reduce heat compared to lighter tint. There was also a discussion about whether the experiment accurately represents real-world situations, as real cars have both glass and tint, while the experiment only used plastic to represent glass. The question was raised about whether adding plastic to the tint layer would better model real-life situations.
hhm28

Homework Statement

Here's the question for my coursework. "Everyone knows the feeling of getting into a car that has been under the hot sun.Nobody likes it. Design an experiment and investigate the factor(s) that contribute to this condition."

Here's my question,
1)Do window tint really helps in reducing the heat entering the car since UV, visible light and IR were blocked?

2)Do the darker tint reduce more heat? (From what I have done in my experiment, darker tint didn't seem to better in heat reduction, they are approximately the same as lighter tint, or even worse.) Is that true?

2. The attempt at a solution
I have carried out an experiment by building 5 model miniature cars of equal size using cardboard and 4 of them were put on window tint of different VTL (Visible Light transmittance), while the last one was put on a plastic cover of approximately the same thickness to represent the non tinted glass. After that, 5 of them were put under the sun and the temperature inside the car is observed. (ps: no glasses were used, I simply glued the window tints/plastic covers.)

And the result I got was the non tinted (plastic cover) did has a little bit higher temperature than the rest. The non tinted car has around 55°c while the rest were slightly lower (52-53 °C).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In a real world situation, a layer of tint is added to the window glass. But in your experiment, if I understand it correctly, 4 models had only the tint layer, while the other had some plastic, which stood for glass. Do you think this models the real world situation accurately?

Is glass that important in this experiment? I don't have enough resources to run this experiment if glass is needed, I just wanted to prove that darker tint will give a better heat reduction. Anything suggestion to make the difference more significant or should I just move on and change my topic?

I am not saying that you should have used glass. What I do say, is that real cars have either glass or glass + tint, while you had either plastic or tint. Do you see the discrepancy?

Do you mean that since I represent glass with plastics, so I have to add a plastic to the tint layer to model the real life situation?

I do think that plastic + tint vs plastic models adding tint, while plastic vs tint models replacing glass with tint.

Likes 1 person

Related to School project help: Window tint in reducing the temperature of car.

1. How does window tint help reduce the temperature inside a car?

Window tint works by blocking out a significant amount of UV rays and infrared radiation, which are the main contributors to heat gain inside a car. This helps to keep the interior of the car cooler and more comfortable.

2. Is window tint effective in reducing the temperature of a car?

Yes, window tint has been proven to be an effective way to reduce the temperature inside a car. Studies have shown that tinted windows can reduce the internal temperature of a car by up to 60%.

3. What type of window tint is best for reducing the temperature of a car?

The type of window tint that is most effective in reducing the temperature of a car is one that has a high percentage of infrared and UV blocking capabilities. Look for tints that have a high SPF rating and are specifically designed for heat reduction.

4. Are there any other benefits of using window tint besides reducing the temperature of a car?

Yes, window tint can also provide other benefits such as reducing glare from the sun, protecting the interior of the car from UV damage, and increasing privacy and security by making it more difficult for people to see inside the car.

5. Can window tint be applied to all types of car windows?

Most types of window tint can be applied to all types of car windows, including curved, angled, and rear windows. However, it is always best to consult with a professional to ensure that the tint is applied correctly and does not interfere with any electronic devices inside the car.