Schmid Tensor / Resolved Shear Stress question

In summary, the magnitude of the resolved shear stress can be calculated using the formula $\tau = \sigma_{ij} n_i m_j$, where n and m are the normal and direction vectors, respectively. Plugging in the appropriate values, we get a magnitude of 40 for the resolved shear stress on the (112) plane in the [11-1] direction.
muskie25

Homework Statement

Calculate the magnitude of the resolved shear stress on the ## (112)## plane in the ##[11\bar{1}] ##direction in a bcc crystal.

Homework Equations

Tried to use:
##
t^{\alpha} = \frac{1}{2} \sigma_{ij} (m_{i} n_{j} + m_{i} n_{j})
##

where m is the direction and n is the plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

##
t^{\alpha} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \begin{array} (10 & -5 & 0 \\ -5 & 20 & 10 \\ 0 & 10 & 30 \end{array} \right ) \left( \begin{array} (-6 & 6 & 0 \end{array} \right ) = \left( \begin{array} (-90 & 150 & 60 \end{array} \right )
##

This does not sit right with me and I am not sure that I fully understand what is going on here. Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

The resolved shear stress on a specific plane and direction in a crystal is given by the formula:

$$\tau = \sigma_{ij} n_i m_j$$

Where $\sigma_{ij}$ is the stress tensor, $n_i$ is the normal vector to the plane, and $m_j$ is the direction vector. In this case, we are looking for the resolved shear stress on the (112) plane in the [11-1] direction.

The first step is to determine the normal vector to the (112) plane. This can be done by taking the cross product of two vectors that lie in the plane. One possible choice is the [1-1-2] and [1-1-1] vectors, which results in a normal vector of [1-1-1].

Next, we need to determine the direction vector in the [11-1] direction. This can be done by taking the cross product of two vectors that lie in this direction. One possible choice is the [1-1-1] and [1-1-2] vectors, which results in a direction vector of [1-1-1].

Now, we can plug these values into the formula to get:

$$\tau = \sigma_{ij} n_i m_j = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 10 & -5 & 0 \\ -5 & 20 & 10 \\ 0 & 10 & 30 \end{array} \right ) \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -1 \\ -1 \end{array}\right) \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -1 \\ -1 \end{array}\right) = \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \\ -40 \end{array}\right)$$

So, the magnitude of the resolved shear stress on the (112) plane in the [11-1] direction is 40.

Related to Schmid Tensor / Resolved Shear Stress question

1. What is a Schmid tensor?

The Schmid tensor, also known as the Schmid law or Schmid factor, is a mathematical representation of the resolved shear stress on a given plane and in a given direction within a crystal lattice. It is used to determine the direction of the maximum shear stress on a slip plane in a crystal under an applied stress.

2. How is the Schmid tensor calculated?

The Schmid tensor is calculated by taking the dot product of the applied stress tensor and the unit vector of the slip plane. This dot product results in a scalar value, known as the resolved shear stress, which is then multiplied by the unit vector of the slip direction to obtain the full Schmid tensor.

3. What is the relationship between the Schmid tensor and resolved shear stress?

The Schmid tensor is directly related to the resolved shear stress, as it represents the magnitude and direction of the maximum shear stress on a given plane and in a given direction within a crystal. The Schmid tensor can be used to determine the slip systems and critical resolved shear stress in a material.

4. How is the Schmid tensor used in material science?

The Schmid tensor is used in material science to understand the plastic deformation behavior of crystalline materials. It helps to determine the slip systems and critical resolved shear stress of a material, which are important factors in understanding its mechanical properties and response to external stresses.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Schmid tensor?

One limitation of using the Schmid tensor is that it assumes a perfect crystal lattice, which is not always the case in real materials. It also does not take into account any dislocations or defects within the crystal, which can affect the deformation behavior. Additionally, the Schmid tensor is only applicable to crystalline materials and cannot be used for amorphous materials.