Scheduling for First Semester at New School

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scheduling
In summary, the conversation is about whether or not the person should take Linear Algebra as their fourth class, which is not required for their degree but is a prerequisite for more interesting math courses. They are considering taking it easy for their first semester at a new school and the difficulty of the Math Methods course. The conversation also touches on the benefits of learning abstract math and its implications in physics.
lubuntu
I am transferring to a new school and also transitioning from taking a more part-time class load to a full-time and want to maintain a reasonable course load. I will be taking

Modern Physics
Math Methods of Physics
Sophomore Lab

What I want to know is whether or not I should take Linear Algebra for my fourth class- it isn't required by my degree but I want to learn it and it is a pre-req for some more interesting math courses. Apparently, the Math Methods course is very difficult so I don't want to overwhelm myself. The other option would be to fulfill a gen ed pre-req or take a free elective in something I am interested in.

Should I take it easy for my first semester at a new school?

Physics news on Phys.org
I vote for taking it easy.

Give yourself a semester to become acclimated.

I think it's going to depend on you, and how much change you'll be going through. Will you be moving, in addition to transferring? That will add a lot of stress.

I took it easy in my first quarter after I transfered, and I was glad for it. There's plenty of time for stress before you graduate :biggrin:.

DO you know what text you will be using for Math Methods? And what topics will be covered?

I know in my school we have a three quarter (two semester) series of math methods for physics and Boas is what we use. First course is sophmore/junior level and the last two courses are major (junior/senior level) courses.

In the first course, we basically review the first two years of math in the span of 10 weeks (Calc I-III, and ELementary Diff EQs/Lin Alg) plus a few other topics and we begin to learn Mathmatica. If this sounds like the course you are going to take, I would say its not very difficult, but of course mastering (and I truly mean mastering) the topics covered are going to pay many dividends when you take your junior/senior level physics courses.

I would be prepared to know what upper division math is like. Its not about formulas or plugging and chugging. THeres not much in the way of direct calculations. Its more about proofs. Here are properties of vector spaces/determinants/linear transformations...etc...now that you have the definitions, theorems and axioms, show that this and this is also true about this mathematical structure.

This level of math may not be directly applicable to physics at the undergrad level, but I certainly do believe that learning the abstractness of math allows you to think about physics problems in a different way. This can be very helpful for junior/senior level physics classes which are more theoretical than practical.

And yes, if you go far enough in physics, you will certainly gain something from learning the abstract side of math. For example, group theory has implications in the standard model: the pauli matrices (linear algebra) form a group isomorphic to SU2 groups (group theory). If you have some familiarity with lin alg and abstract algebra BEFORE you encounter these ideas in a grad level physics class for example, you can concetrate on the physical meaning of these ideas instead of having to figuere out what the hell group theory is and what its about ON TOP OF trying to learn the physics.

Last edited:

I would recommend considering several factors before making a decision about your fourth class. First, evaluate your overall academic goals and priorities. If learning Linear Algebra is important to you and aligns with your long-term academic plans, then it may be worth taking on the challenge. However, if your main priority is to ease into your new school and maintain a reasonable course load, then it may be better to fulfill a gen ed pre-req or take a free elective in something you are interested in.

Additionally, consider the workload and difficulty level of your other three classes. If Modern Physics, Math Methods of Physics, and Sophomore Lab are already going to be challenging, adding Linear Algebra may be overwhelming. On the other hand, if you feel confident in your ability to manage your time and workload effectively, then taking on a fourth class may not be as daunting.

It may also be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or other students who have taken these courses to get a better understanding of the workload and difficulty level. They may be able to provide insight into whether taking Linear Algebra in your first semester at a new school is a manageable option.

Ultimately, it is important to find a balance between challenging yourself and not overwhelming yourself. Consider your priorities, workload, and support resources before making a decision about your fourth class. Good luck with your first semester at your new school!

Related to Scheduling for First Semester at New School

1. How do I select my classes for my first semester at the new school?

After being admitted to the new school, you will typically receive an email or letter with instructions on how to select your classes. This may involve logging into an online portal or meeting with an academic advisor.

2. What factors should I consider when creating my schedule for first semester?

Some factors to consider when creating your schedule include your major requirements, any prerequisite courses, your personal schedule preferences (such as morning or evening classes), and any extracurricular activities or work commitments you may have.

3. Can I change my schedule after it has been finalized?

Yes, most schools have a designated add/drop period during the first week or two of the semester. During this time, you can make changes to your schedule without any penalty. After this period, you may still be able to drop or add a class, but there may be fees or academic consequences.

4. How many classes should I take in my first semester?

This will depend on your personal circumstances and academic workload. Most schools recommend taking between 12-15 credits (or 4-5 classes) per semester. However, some students may need to take more or less depending on their major requirements or personal needs.

5. What if all the classes I need are already full?

If a class you need is full, you can try to add yourself to the waitlist. If the waitlist is full or not an option, you can reach out to your academic advisor or the department offering the class to see if any additional spots may become available. You may also consider taking the class in a future semester or finding an alternative course that fulfills the same requirement.