Schedule for Fall Quarter - Linear Algebra or Fundamentals of Math?

In summary: But I think you would be better served by taking the foundations class, which is really just a prerequisite for the proofs based class.In summary, I think it would be best to take the foundations class if you want to go into proofs-basedlinear algebra courses. Otherwise, I think it is about the same level of difficulty and maturity, so you could take either course.
Flat
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if Linear Algebra or the Foundations of Higher Mathematics would be best to take for fall quarter. I briefly thought about just taking both, but I'm not sure if I could handle it. Originally I was thinking about take linear algebra, but a friend thought it may be best to take the Foundations class so I would be introduced to proofs.

Schedule for Fall Quarter:
Math- Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations
Physics - Dynamics of Particles and Waves (second year physics)
NE - Introduction to Nuclear Engineering
-----
Math- Introductory Linear Algebra
Math- Foundations of Higher Mathematics **

**Designed to prepare students for higher mathematics; an introduction to logic, proof techniques, set theory, number theory, integers, real numbers.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Realistically, I think they're both on about the same level of difficulty and requisite mathematical maturity.

Higher Math will probably help you more in Linear Algebra than Linear Algebra would help in Higher Math, but not by much.

Thanks for the response. I have decided to double check the prereqs for my physics and NE courses to make sure I don't end up messing myself up later on the road, but so far so good.

Is the introduction to linear algebra a computational-based or proof-based course? If it is the latter, then the foundations class would be better to take prior to linear algebra.

daveyinaz said:
Is the introduction to linear algebra a computational-based or proof-based course? If it is the latter, then the foundations class would be better to take prior to linear algebra.

I'm almost positive it is computational. This is the course Engineering students take, and the other Intro to Linear Algebra is a two quarter series that the math majors typically take.

What do you want out of linear algebra? The computational version may be more useful for undergraduate physics courses, but I'd wager that a heavy dose of theory would be invaluable later on.

The reason I ask is that you're taking the intro to higher math, and that seems to indicate you want to go the proofs direction. Have you thought hard about this?

AUMathTutor said:
What do you want out of linear algebra? The computational version may be more useful for undergraduate physics courses, but I'd wager that a heavy dose of theory would be invaluable later on.

The reason I ask is that you're taking the intro to higher math, and that seems to indicate you want to go the proofs direction. Have you thought hard about this?

The higher math course is just a requirement. It seems like every other required math class after that is computational based. I am thinking about taking "Modern Mathematical Methods in Relativity Theory" for giggles, which could be proof based.

Related to Schedule for Fall Quarter - Linear Algebra or Fundamentals of Math?

1. What is the schedule for Fall Quarter for Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math?

The schedule for Fall Quarter for Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math is typically available on the school's website or in the course catalog. It may also be provided by the professor on the first day of class. It is important to note that schedules are subject to change, so it is important to regularly check for any updates.

2. When are the classes for Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math typically offered?

The classes for Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math are typically offered during the Fall Quarter, as these are foundational courses for many majors. They may also be offered in other quarters, depending on the school's curriculum and availability of professors.

3. How many credits are Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math worth?

The number of credits for Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math can vary depending on the school and the specific course. Typically, these courses are worth 3-4 credits each. It is important to check with the school or the course syllabus for the exact number of credits.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking Linear Algebra or Fundamentals of Math?

Prerequisites for Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math may vary depending on the school and the specific course. Generally, these courses require a strong foundation in algebra and some may also have a prerequisite of having taken a previous math course. It is important to check with the school or the course syllabus for any specific prerequisites.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks for Linear Algebra or Fundamentals of Math?

There may be recommended textbooks for Linear Algebra and Fundamentals of Math, but it ultimately depends on the professor teaching the course. Some may have required textbooks, while others may provide a list of recommended resources. It is important to check with the professor or the course syllabus for any recommended textbooks.