Scalars and Vectors: The Difference

In summary, a scalar is a quantity with magnitude only, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be real numbers and are related to the operation of scaling a vector. Every scalar can also be seen as a 1-dimensional vector. Formally, scalars are elements of a field, while vectors are elements of a vector space.
magu1re
Hey. :)

I have just come onto working with vectors in pure mathematics and have no problems calculating with them. However, I do not really understand the difference between a vector and a scalar.

A scalar has magnitude only.

A vector has magnitude and direction.

Since trying to satisfy myself of the difference between these two objects, I have learned that scalars can be real numbers and are related to the operation of scaling a vector.

-7 is a scalar quantity althought it appears, to me at least, to be directed. I have been told that the negative is an indication of sense rather than direcition but this is a source of confusion for me. The magnitude of a scalar makes sense when I think of it as a vector. It seems to me as though it is a one-dimensional vector.

Would someone please clarify the difference between a scalar and a vector or provide any comments that could clear up this confusion?

Thank-you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, every scalar can be seen as a 1-dimensional vector.

Formally, scalars are elements of a field, say the reals R. A vector space over R is a group on which R acts; its elements are by definition called 'vectors'.

But R itself is a 1-dimensional vector space over R. In this sense, elements of R are both scalars (elements of the field R) and vectors (elements of the 1-dimensional vector space R over R).

(7 and -7 have opposite orientation. If we want to say that -7 has "negative direction", we are actually presuming an orientation on R. But that's a somewhat more advanced concept. )

Last edited:

Related to Scalars and Vectors: The Difference

What is the difference between scalars and vectors?

Scalars are physical quantities that have only magnitude, such as mass or temperature. Vectors are physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

How can I distinguish between a scalar and a vector?

One way to distinguish between scalars and vectors is to look at their units. Scalars have units of measurements that are only in terms of size, such as kilograms or degrees Celsius. Vectors have units of measurements that include both a magnitude and a direction, such as meters per second or newtons.

What are some examples of scalar quantities?

Some examples of scalar quantities include time, mass, temperature, and energy. These quantities have only magnitude and do not have a direction associated with them.

What are some examples of vector quantities?

Some examples of vector quantities include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force. These quantities have both magnitude and direction, and they are often represented by arrows in diagrams and equations to indicate their direction.

How are scalars and vectors used in real-world applications?

Scalars and vectors are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and navigation. For example, velocity (a vector quantity) is used in navigation systems to determine the speed and direction of a moving object, while temperature (a scalar quantity) is used in weather forecasting to determine the average heat energy of the atmosphere.