Scalar propagator for lightlike separation

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the prefactor for the delta function in the propagator for a free scalar in two dimensions with lightlike separations. There is a discussion about using integrals and Lorentz invariance to solve for the prefactor. There is also a mention of difficulties with viewing the formulas.
bnado
Hello everybody.
I have a free scalar in two dimensions. I know that its propagator will diverge for lightlike separations, that is t= ±x. I have to find the prefactor for this delta function, and I don't know how to do this.
How do I see from, for example, [tex] \int \frac{dk}{\sqrt{k^2+m^2}} e^{i k x - i \sqrt{k^2+m^2} t}+e^{i k x + i \sqrt{k^2+m^2} t} [/tex] what I get as a prefactor for my [tex] \delta (t-x) [/tex]?

Normally when calculating this integral we set either x or t to 0, depending on whether the separation is timelike or spacelike, to then restore Lorentz invariance after the integral is solved. What can I do in the case of lightlike separation?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For some reason I can't see your formulas...

Wierd. The latex code for the first formula is
\int \frac{dk}{\sqrt{k^2+m^2}} e^{i k x - i \sqrt{k^2+m^2} t}+e^{i k x + i \sqrt{k^2+m^2} t}
and it's just the integral that gives you the propagator in position space.
the second one is just \delta (t-x)

Related to Scalar propagator for lightlike separation

What is a scalar propagator for lightlike separation?

A scalar propagator for lightlike separation is a mathematical function that describes the propagation of scalar fields (such as electromagnetic fields) in spacetime when the distance between two points is equal to the speed of light multiplied by the time difference between the points.

Why is the scalar propagator for lightlike separation important in scientific research?

The scalar propagator for lightlike separation is important because it allows scientists to mathematically describe and predict the behavior of scalar fields in scenarios where the distance between two points is equal to the speed of light multiplied by the time difference between the points. This is particularly useful in studying phenomena that involve the propagation of electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves.

How is the scalar propagator for lightlike separation calculated?

The scalar propagator for lightlike separation is calculated using advanced mathematical techniques, such as the Fourier transform and the Feynman path integral method. These methods allow scientists to account for the effects of quantum mechanics and relativity in the propagation of scalar fields.

What are some practical applications of the scalar propagator for lightlike separation?

The scalar propagator for lightlike separation has many practical applications, such as in the study of electromagnetic radiation, antenna design, and quantum field theory. It is also used in technologies such as radar, satellite communications, and medical imaging.

Are there any limitations to the use of the scalar propagator for lightlike separation?

Yes, the scalar propagator for lightlike separation is based on theoretical models and assumptions and may not accurately describe all real-world scenarios. Additionally, it may be difficult to calculate for complex systems and may require simplifications or approximations.