Scalar particle scattering amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of an expression involving a potential and the conditions under which the simplification was done. The simplified expression is then compared to a potential given in a problem in the text, which does not seem to meet the conditions used in the simplification. The speaker believes they may have made a mistake, but are unsure of where it occurred.
faklif

Homework Statement

I have simplified the expression
[tex]-i\int d^4xie[\phi'^*(\partial_{\mu}A^\mu + A^\mu\partial_\mu)]\phi[/tex]
to
[tex]-i\int d^4xie[\phi'^*(\partial_\mu\phi) - (\partial_\mu\phi'^*)\phi]A^\mu[/tex]
under the conditions
[tex]A^0 \rightarrow 0, t \rightarrow \pm \infty[/tex]
[tex]|A^i| \rightarrow 0, |x_i| \rightarrow \infty[/tex]
using partial integration. As was requested in a problem in the text.

Now in the same text I have the potential [tex]A^0 = \frac{Ze}{4\pi |x|}[/tex] where x are the spatial coordinates and [tex]A^i = 0[/tex]. My problem is that the book uses the above results which I derived under conditions which I don't see that this potential meets.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that I've done something wrong because the conditions in my simplification don't match the potential given. But I can't see what.

Related to Scalar particle scattering amplitude

What is a scalar particle scattering amplitude?

A scalar particle scattering amplitude is a mathematical description of the probability of a scalar particle interacting with other particles through a scattering process. It is a complex number that takes into account the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the interaction.

How is the scalar particle scattering amplitude calculated?

The scalar particle scattering amplitude is calculated using quantum field theory, which is a mathematical framework for describing the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It involves applying Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory to calculate the probability of the scattering process.

Why is the scalar particle scattering amplitude important?

The scalar particle scattering amplitude is important because it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions. It also provides a way to test the validity of various theories and models in particle physics.

What are the limitations of the scalar particle scattering amplitude?

One limitation of the scalar particle scattering amplitude is that it only describes the behavior of scalar particles, which have no intrinsic angular momentum. It cannot be used to describe the scattering of particles with spin, such as fermions or vector bosons.

Can the scalar particle scattering amplitude be experimentally measured?

Yes, the scalar particle scattering amplitude can be experimentally measured by colliding particles at high energies and measuring the resulting scattering patterns. This data can then be compared to theoretical predictions to validate or refine our understanding of particle interactions.