Say I know the x and y components, how do i go about finding the diagonal one?

• Thread starter teggenspiller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, to find the magnitude of the diagonal component, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and take the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components. The formula for finding the diagonal component is D = √(x² + y²), and you can use trigonometry and vector notation to calculate it. It is necessary to know the x and y components to accurately find the diagonal component.
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

^--------------^
|..../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|/_____________> ignore the dots

If my y component is 120m/s and my X component is 50m/s, how do I go about finding initial V??

Attempt:

i know that the y component = sin(O)*V
and the x= cos (O) *V

So that must mean that
V= x/cos(O)
AND
V= y/sin(O)

so maybe just maybe: x/cos(O)=y/sin(O)

But i don't know theta. and I am not looking for it either.
^--------------^
|..../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|.../
|/_____________> ignore the dots

Physics news on Phys.org
A vector with perpendicular components x and y has magnitude sqrt(x2 + y2).

Related to Say I know the x and y components, how do i go about finding the diagonal one?

1. How do I find the magnitude of the diagonal component?

The magnitude of the diagonal component can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. So, to find the magnitude of the diagonal component, you can take the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y components.

2. What is the formula for finding the diagonal component?

The formula for finding the diagonal component is D = √(x² + y²), where D is the magnitude of the diagonal component and x and y are the x and y components, respectively.

3. Can I use trigonometry to find the diagonal component?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the diagonal component. You can use the sine and cosine functions to calculate the diagonal component, using the angles formed by the x and y components as reference angles.

4. Is it necessary to know the x and y components to find the diagonal component?

Yes, it is necessary to know the x and y components to find the diagonal component. The diagonal component is a result of the x and y components, so without knowing these values, you cannot accurately calculate the diagonal component.

5. Can I use vector notation to find the diagonal component?

Yes, you can use vector notation to find the diagonal component. The diagonal component can be represented as a vector with magnitude D and direction θ, where θ is the angle formed by the diagonal component and the x-axis. You can use trigonometry and vector addition to calculate the magnitude and direction of the diagonal component.