Saw a side of my best friend tonight

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was hanging out with their friend and noticed some concerning behavior including bigotry, gross immaturity, ignorant and rude behavior, continued ignorance, and absurd reasoning. They are considering ending the friendship due to this behavior and are unsure of what to do. The speaker's friend also seems to be draining their energy. Despite these issues, the speaker has been getting along well with their friend for the past year. They are also considering ending other friendships due to similar issues. They have known their friend for an unspecified amount of time and do not have many mutual friends.
Aero51
I was hanging out with my buddy tonight and I saw a side of him that made me really question what kind of person he really is. I feel bad because we have a brotherly bond, but some of the things he's said and done lately have really been getting on my nerves. In no particular order:

1) Bigotry - he made a few really derogatory comments about a subculture recently. When we walked past a bar he saw a group of these people and refused to walk in. I was absolutely stunned. He was later shown to be a hypocrite.

2) Gross immaturity - A girl with a nice rack hugged him and he went on for at least an hour about how he felt her rack when she gave him a hug. I would expect this behavior out of a 13 year old.

3) Ignorant and rude behavior - it was a slow night tonight and a bartender who we regularly see was talking to him about her break up and in the middle of her sentence he goes "Im actually on my phone right now you're going to have to hold on a sec." or something along those lines. She did nothing to warrant that kind of response. The messed up part was that he had no idea how rude he was until I explained to him how he came off and if he did that to me I would have told him off. She was kind enough to just walk away. He also had no idea, that since I and one other person was with him, that the image he projects also affects his friends image too.

4) Continued ignorance - He thinks apologizing and talking to her made her not mad and magically undid what he said. I told him that she was being nice and friendly to you and it was very obvious she didnt want to talk by the fact that she tried to avoid his attention whenever possible. He even believed later on in the night that he had a shot with her because "We flirted" and she was hiding it.

5) Absurd reasoning - a group of people who work at the same bar had the night off so they stopped into say hi to those that were on duty and then they took off. Since we are regulars a few of them said hi to us and we exchanged hugs with the woman in #2. When they left he actually got mad that they didn't invite the three of us with them. For some reason he felt that they should have asked us to join the group despite the fact that we are regular customers we do not know these people beyond a few conversations and the occasional dance partner.

I hate to say it but these things really make me not want to associate with him anymore. Granted, he was a little drunk for some but this kind of behavior is unacceptable regardless. If anything the lack of sobriety opened the gate to his true self.

Im not really sure what to do. I've lost a lot of my friends in my life for negative reasons. Id hate to lose another.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your friend exhibits too many childish behaviors, if you have ever gently told him about them but things remain, don't consider him as one of your close friends. Seeing that you comment so well on your friend's characters, readers understand too that he is probably not one of the friendship types you may be looking for. You don't need to endure whatever he is doing or saying. To clarify things means to communicate and debate the problems in question. Friends are like words in a dictionary, if you mind looking up any.

It's a shame because we have been getting along really well the past year. In some ways you are right, I have changed a lot in the last year and I am starting to want other things in my life. I can tolerate a friends preconceived notions to a reasonable degree, but not to this extent.

Also, if I stop talking to this kid then I literally have no friends within a few hundred miles of me.

Points 1 to 5.
Yeah so.
There seems to be some over-analyzing and pigeonhole-ing of your friend's conduct
For example: #3 and 4. If the bartender doesn't want to talk to him she won't. If she does want to talk, she will. It would be her choice, not yours, to decide if she wants to entertain or be entertained by an obnoxious customer to acquire a bigger tip or whatever else would be in it for her. Your opinion has no bearing on how she does her job as bartender.

Just the same, he does seem to be somewhat energy draining.

256 I understand some of your points but I don't understand the "Yeah so?" remark. I don't care about the bartenders reasoning. If they are too insecure/greedy to avoid him that's their business, which I agree.

My problem is with his attitude and his disposition towards his actions.

Several of my friends are completely inept at dealing with group social activities. It's really starting to annoy me. I can't go into detail because I'm posting under my real name. But I'm considering dumping them for new friends.

Hey if you are in the NC area we can hang out haha

How long have you known this guy?

Do you have any friends in common? If so, have they noticed a change in his behavior?

When complaining about your friend's perceived shortcomings, it's probably not a good idea to refer to a girl's endowment as her 'rack'.

How long have you known this guy?

Do you have any friends in common? If so, have they noticed a change in his behavior?

We only share one friend, his roommate. I tried to call him today to get some lunch and he didnt pick up. I figured "whatever he might be passed out" so I sent him a text about 2 hours ago just seeing how he was doing and he never got back to me. Maybe he's having family problems. If we hang out tomorrow I'll ask him what the deal was last night.

When complaining about your friend's perceived shortcomings, it's probably not a good idea to refer to a girl's endowment as her 'rack'.

I'll mail you $50 if you can describe, in detail, how my use of slang correlates anything regarding "my friend's shortcomings". Maybe people like me just aren't good enough to avoid slang, you would know right?

Aero51 said:
256 I understand some of your points but I don't understand the "Yeah so?" remark. I don't care about the bartenders reasoning. If they are too insecure/greedy to avoid him that's their business, which I agree.

My problem is with his attitude and his disposition towards his actions.

What I meant was, which wasn't apparant, that this could be a one off on the guy's behavior, ( since you did not refer to any previous as being the same ), and while you guys were out to have some fun he just let loose with some stupidity for the evening. If he is always like that on a night out, then it does become very repetative and annoying.

Aero51 said:
I'll mail you $50 if you can describe, in detail, how my use of slang correlates anything regarding "my friend's shortcomings". Maybe people like me just aren't good enough to avoid slang, you would know right?

I can't speak for SteamKing, but I think I know what he meant. The term "rack" is not simply a slang term, it can be offensive and indicates insensitivity (e.g., would you use it while speaking to a woman you respect?). So there was a bit of irony in your post, using a term like that while pointing out how your friend acts like a jerk sometimes.

My interpretation, at least.

I hate to say it but these things really make me not want to associate with him anymore. Granted, he was a little drunk for some but this kind of behavior is unacceptable regardless. If anything the lack of sobriety opened the gate to his true self.
Well, did you talk to him about it?

You said he had been drinking. The main effect of alcohol IS "it makes you dumb." It's harder for some people to be considerate of others when they are under the influence.

1) If there is a certain group of people he doesn't like, why should he go into the bar with those group of people? It's one thing to say you don't like a certain race but another to say you don't like Hells Angels. "Subculture" isn't specific.

2) Don't expect this behaviour to be exclusive to 13 year olds.

3) Your friend most likely does not care about the bartender's break up and doesn't want to listen. If you decide to start talking about personal problems with someone, don't always expect a polite response. If the bartender brought it up without asking your friend, the bartender should probably expect such a response.

4) I'm not sure ignorance is the right word - simply, your friend was just being annoying.

5) Was he upset in the sense that he wanted to "get some", or was he personally offended?

From your description it appears that this happened in a single night. The only behaviour I see that can possibly be unacceptable is 1) and 2) and this depends on context. Your friend was drunk. Don't think the alcohol actually opened his "true self". People have differing reactions to substances.

If you're going unfriend someone over a single embarrassing night, then I'm not surprised you've lost many friends in the past for "negative" reasons. If you want to stop losing friends, perhaps you may want to think if you have unrealistic expectations, are too analytical, or just like you said previously: you've changed, which in this case losing a friend isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe you are just the kind of person that just realizes at a single moment that you don't like someone while others kind of have it happen to them gradually.

1. What do you mean by "Saw a side of my best friend tonight"?

This phrase typically refers to seeing a new or unexpected behavior or personality trait from a close friend. It can also suggest a deeper understanding of their character or a new perspective on their actions.

2. Why is this event significant?

This event is significant because it can provide insight into the dynamics of a friendship and potentially reveal new information about a friend's personality. It may also have an impact on the relationship and how it evolves in the future.

3. Can this experience change the way I view my best friend?

Yes, this experience can definitely change the way you view your best friend. It may challenge your previous perceptions and lead to a deeper understanding of their character. However, it is important to communicate and discuss any changes in perspective with your friend to maintain a healthy relationship.

4. How can I handle seeing a different side of my best friend?

It is important to approach this situation with understanding and open communication. Take the time to process your thoughts and feelings before discussing it with your friend. When you do have a conversation, be honest and respectful, and listen to their perspective as well.

5. Is it normal to see a different side of a best friend?

Yes, it is normal to see a different side of a best friend. People are complex and capable of change, and it is natural for close friends to have new experiences and reveal different aspects of themselves. As long as the friendship is built on trust and communication, these changes can strengthen the bond between friends.