Saving $$ on Power Usage: Rewire Household Appliance

In summary, the conversation discusses the power consumption of a household appliance and the potential savings that can be achieved by rewiring the house with a new wire of a different diameter. The power consumed by the wire was calculated using the formula P = IV, and it was found that replacing the wire could result in a savings of 14.8W. This amount can be subtracted from the annual electricity bill of $1400, resulting in potential cost savings for the household.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

A household appliance consumes 1800W of power from a 120V wall plug. Calculate the power consumed due to a wire of length L = 22.0m and diameter D1 = 1.628mm (with resistivity p = 1.680 x 10-8Ωm). If a house spends $1400 per year in electricity bills, how much money can be saved per year by rewiring the house with a new wire of diameter D2 = 2.053mm?

Homework Equations

P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the power dissipated by the wire, which should be P = 25.1W using the formula P = I2R (for the second wire) and P = 39.9W (for the first wire). However, I do not know how to relate this with the money spent. How should I approach this problem? I'm not sure on how to proceed. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you must be expected to assume that the same percentage of money is wasted as you calculate here for power wasted.

I haven't checked the dissipations, I'll roll with what you have.

Some amount out of the 1400$ is spent on the lost power. The total bill is n(A + 0.0399)kWh*rate. "A" is just the sum of the power consumption of other appliances, which don't concern us and "n" represents whatever amount of time power was being consumed.
If n(A + 0.0399)kWh * Rate = 1400$, how would you find the bill if you replaced the wire?

You win some certain amount of power by replacing the wire (39.9 - 25.1 = 14.8W) this 0.0148* n * kWh * Rate is the amount of dollars you don't have to spend, hence you can subtract it from the 1400$.

Related to Saving $$ on Power Usage: Rewire Household Appliance

1. How can I save money on my electricity bill by rewiring my household appliances?

Rewiring your household appliances can help reduce your electricity bill by ensuring that they are using energy efficiently. This involves checking the wiring connections, replacing old or faulty wiring, and using energy-saving settings on your appliances.

2. Is rewiring my household appliances a DIY project or should I hire a professional?

It is recommended to hire a licensed and experienced electrician to rewire your household appliances. This ensures the safety and proper functioning of your appliances, as well as complying with electrical codes and regulations.

3. Can rewiring my household appliances cause any damage to them?

Proper rewiring should not cause any damage to your household appliances. In fact, it can extend the lifespan of your appliances by ensuring they are using energy efficiently and reducing the risk of electrical malfunctions.

4. How often should I have my household appliances rewired?

There is no set timeframe for when household appliances should be rewired. It is recommended to have them checked by a professional electrician every 5-10 years or if any issues arise, such as flickering lights or power surges.

5. Are there any other ways to save money on power usage besides rewiring household appliances?

Yes, there are several other ways to save money on power usage. These include unplugging appliances when not in use, using energy-efficient light bulbs, adjusting thermostat settings, and using power strips to avoid standby power usage. Regular maintenance and cleaning of appliances can also help improve their energy efficiency.