Saudi Arabia declares all atheists are terrorists

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
In summary, Atheists in Saudi Arabia have been declared terrorists, and those who publicly admit to being atheists are at risk of imprisonment.
StevieTNZ
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html

It seems a new royal decree is in effect in Saudi Arabia...

King Abdullah issued Royal Decree 44, which criminalises "participating in hostilities outside the kingdom" with prison sentences of between three and 20 years, Human Rights Watch said.

Article one of the new provisions defines terrorism as "calling for atheist thought in any form, or calling into question the fundamentals of the Islamic religion on which this country is based".

Likes 256bits and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
StevieTNZ said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ack-down-on-political-dissidents-9228389.html

It seems a new royal decree is in effect in Saudi Arabia...
Not quite "new", but new news to me.

The article is dated April 1, 2014

Interesting, hind-sight follow-up on the situation:

Atheism explodes in Saudi Arabia, despite state-enforced ban [salon]
June 4, 2014
But the greater willingness to privately admit to being atheist reflects a general disillusionment with religion and what one Saudi called “a growing notion” that religion is being misused by authorities to control the population.

hmm... "a growing notion".
Interesting

OmCheeto said:
Not quite "new", but new news to me.

The article is dated April 1, 2014

I have only just noticed the date of publication! However yes, for me also it is new news. I don't recall anything back in April 2014 regarding this royal decree.

King Abdullah issued Royal Decree 44, which criminalises "participating in hostilities outside the kingdom" with prison sentences of between three and 20 years, Human Rights Watch said.
That one seems to be somewhat similar to what other countries have done regarding activities abroad.

Article one of the new provisions defines terrorism as "calling for atheist thought in any form, or calling into question the fundamentals of the Islamic religion on which this country is based".
Separation of church and state is a concept not understood.

StevieTNZ said:
I have only just noticed the date of publication! However yes, for me also it is new news. I don't recall anything back in April 2014 regarding this royal decree.

An example of "TMI", IMHO.
There are about 7 billion people on the planet now, each with their own opinion, of what is "newsworthy".

People being stupid, is as old as time itself.

So, I don't fault either of us, for missing this event.

But thank you for bringing it up. Old interesting news is always fun. :smile:

1. What is the context behind Saudi Arabia declaring all atheists as terrorists?

Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy with a strictly enforced state religion of Sunni Islam. The government views atheism as a threat to the country's Islamic identity and national security.

2. What does this declaration mean for atheists living in Saudi Arabia?

This declaration means that atheists in Saudi Arabia could potentially be prosecuted and punished as terrorists, facing severe penalties such as imprisonment, torture, and even death.

3. How has the international community responded to this declaration?

The international community has largely criticized this declaration, with many human rights organizations and governments condemning it as a violation of freedom of religion and expression. Some countries have even imposed sanctions on Saudi Arabia in response.

4. Is this declaration in line with international human rights laws?

No, this declaration goes against the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which guarantees the right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion. It also violates the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which Saudi Arabia is a party to.

5. What can be done to support atheists in Saudi Arabia?

Individuals and organizations can raise awareness about this issue, support human rights organizations working in Saudi Arabia, and put pressure on governments to take action against this declaration. Additionally, supporting and providing resources to exiled atheists from Saudi Arabia can also make a difference.