Satellite synchronous to Venus' rotation

In summary, we discussed the rotational period of Venus and how it affects the altitude of a syncom satellite. We also explored the equations and concepts related to uniform circular motion and the conditions for a satellite to be synchronous with the rotation of the planet. By using the formula for centripetal acceleration and the speed of a satellite, we were able to solve for the unknowns and determine the correct altitude for the satellite to orbit Venus synchronously.
endeavor
Venus has a rotational period of 243 days. What would be the altitude of a syncom satellite for this planet?

I am pretty sure a syncom satellite is a satellite that orbits synchronously to the rotation of the planet.

I don't know how to solve this problem... help

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what things affect how long it takes a satellite to go around in an orbit. And think about the basics of uniform central motion (something going in a circular path). What is the centripital (sp?) acceleration that causes a mass to go around in a circle? How is that centripital acceleration related to the speed of the mass? Now what is generating that force in the case of a satellite? What about Venus affects the centripital acceleration of the satellite?

ac = v2/(RV + h)
but i don't know ac, v, or h...
v = squareroot of (G * MV / (RV + h))
but i still don't know v or h...

I found that the distance from venus to the sun is 108.2 * 10^9 m, so I figured that's 3.0 * 10^9 m/day. That means every day venus travels 3.0 * 10^9 m. Therefore the circumference of venus is 3.0 * 10^9 m? But that's not right...

I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to solve this...

endeavor said:
ac = v2/(RV + h)
but i don't know ac, v, or h...
v = squareroot of (G * MV / (RV + h))
but i still don't know v or h...

How might one express the velocity of the satellite in terms of the radius of the orbit and the period?

Hint: What is the shape of the orbit have to be for it to be synchronous? What does this say about how the satellite's speed changes throughout its orbit?

v = (2pi * r)/ T, where T is the period

I have
r = 6052000m + h, where h is the altitude
T=?
To find h, I would have to know v already...

The satellite has to orbit in a circle, and therefore it's speed doesn't change.

endeavor said:
T=?
You know T it is defined in your question...for the Earth T would be 24 hours so what is it for Venus? [Don't forget to change you units to seconds when doing the final calculation]

endeavor said:
The satellite has to orbit in a circle, and therefore it's speed doesn't change.

Good, and what is the other condition for it to be synchronous?

Okay, I finally got the right answer...
I thought 243 days meant that Venus has 243 days in its path around the sun.
Venus and the satellite have to have the same angular speed.
w=v2/(r + h)
I also have the equation for the speed of a satellite:
v2=square root of (GMV/(r + h))

Solving for the two unknowns, v2 and h, I get h = 1.53 * 10^9 m, which is the correct answer.

Thanks for all the great help! I really appreciate it!

Sorry, can you explain how you solved for v and then for h? I can see how it would be easy solving for the altitude once you know the v, but I don't know how to get to that.

Related to Satellite synchronous to Venus' rotation

1. What is a satellite synchronous to Venus' rotation?

A satellite synchronous to Venus' rotation is a man-made object that orbits around Venus at the same rate that Venus rotates on its axis. This results in the satellite always being in the same position relative to the surface of Venus, allowing for continuous observation of a specific area on the planet.

2. How does a satellite synchronous to Venus' rotation maintain its orbit?

The satellite is placed in a specific orbit that is aligned with Venus' rotation and has the same orbital period. This allows for the gravitational pull of Venus to keep the satellite in a stable orbit, without the need for continuous adjustments.

3. What is the purpose of a satellite synchronous to Venus' rotation?

The purpose of a satellite synchronous to Venus' rotation is to study and gather data on the surface and atmosphere of Venus. It allows for continuous observation of specific areas and can provide valuable insights into the planet's geology, weather patterns, and other features.

4. How many satellites synchronous to Venus' rotation are currently in orbit?

As of 2021, there are no satellites synchronous to Venus' rotation in orbit. However, in the past, the Soviet Union had two satellites, Venera 15 and Venera 16, that were in a synchronous orbit with Venus' rotation.

5. Are there any plans for future satellites synchronous to Venus' rotation?

Currently, there are no specific plans for future satellites synchronous to Venus' rotation. However, there have been proposals for missions to Venus that include placing a satellite in a synchronous orbit to study the planet's surface and atmosphere in more detail.