Satellite height from earth Question

In summary, Communications satellites are placed in orbit so that they can communicate with other satellites. They are given the name synchornous satellites because, to maintain such a position, their period as they orbit must be the same as the Earth's.
thomasrules
I hate this question:

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong because it seems so hard. Can i get someones way of doing this question...

Communications satellites are placed in orbit so that they remain stationary relatice to a specific area on the Earth's surface. They are given the name synchornous satellites because, to maintain such a position, their period as they orbit must be the same as the Earth's.
What is the height of such a satellite measured from
a) the centre of the Earth, and
b) the surface of the Earth

Physics news on Phys.org
If you hate it, then don't do it...
read the sticky

They are called geostationary satellites.

Their trajectory can be a circle.Apply the 2nd law to the satellite in the inertial frame given by the center of the Earth.

Daniel.

I'm not given an acceleration though

2nd law:?

net f=ma

ma=M(4pi^2r)/T^2

is that it?

Okay,now use the fact that the movement is not in a straight line,but on a circle...

What is the RHS of your equation??

Daniel.

man you've got to help me here...Okay I'll tell you what I've done...

i got (r+x) as my radius...x being the distance from Earth surface to satellite. therefore

4pi^2(r+x)/T^2=GM/(r+x)^2

I continued after that but this is probably all wrong please help...:)

Perfect.Your equation is good.Now just plug in the numbers and tell me your result.Total distance (from the Earth's center).

Daniel.

LOL that can't be right dext. I mean I get cubes when i cross multiply and it's all messed up...I get stuck later i can't find x

I got stuck at

x=7.51(10)^22/(1.2E14+1.9E7x+x^2)

THATS so wrong ain't it

You needn't solve for "x".Your unknown is not necessarily "x".Think about it. :wink:

Daniel.

dexter i need to know r+x which is equal to height but in order to know that I need to solve for x right...then add x with r which i have already...

I'm sorry but my iq is nothing compared to yours

How about this equation??Can u solve it...?

[tex] (R+x)^{3}=\frac{T_{rot}^{2}GM_{E}}{4\pi^{2}} [/tex]

Daniel.

P.S.How about "thinking out of the box"? :wink:

OMG ! HAHAHAHAHAHA DEXTERCIOBY...I'm so Amazed...seeing that equation was like magic to me...like how the hell OMG
you know what I did was the following ! :
4pi^2(r+x)(r^2+2rx+x^2)=Gmt^2

and then multiplied each one

THANK YOU OMNISCIENT ONE

Related to Satellite height from earth Question

What is the average height of satellites from Earth?

The average height of satellites from Earth is approximately 36,000 kilometers or 22,000 miles. This is known as the geostationary orbit, where satellites orbit at the same rate as the Earth's rotation, allowing them to remain stationary above a specific location on Earth.

Why do satellites need to be a certain height from Earth?

Satellites need to be a certain height from Earth in order to maintain a stable orbit and avoid collisions with other objects in space. This height allows them to balance the gravitational pull of the Earth with their own momentum, keeping them in a consistent orbit.

How is the height of a satellite from Earth determined?

The height of a satellite from Earth is determined by its orbital velocity and the Earth's gravitational pull. Engineers use complex calculations and simulations to determine the optimal height for a satellite based on its intended purpose.

Can the height of a satellite from Earth change?

Yes, the height of a satellite from Earth can change. This can be due to factors such as atmospheric drag, solar activity, or intentional adjustments made by ground control. However, the height is carefully monitored and controlled to ensure the satellite remains in a stable orbit.

What happens if a satellite is too close or too far from Earth?

If a satellite is too close to Earth, it can experience atmospheric drag which can cause it to lose altitude and eventually fall back to Earth. If a satellite is too far from Earth, it may not be able to maintain a stable orbit and could drift off into space. Both scenarios can result in the satellite becoming unusable.