Satellite Gravitational Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various parameters for a 500 kg satellite in a circular orbit around the earth. The gravitational force experienced by the satellite is given as 3000 N and the equations used for finding the radius, speed, and period are g=GM1M2/r2, Fc=Mv2/r, and V=2∏r/T respectively. The calculations seem to be correct and there are no specific confusions about the concept of gravitational force.
HarleyM

Homework Statement

a 500 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force of 3000 N, while moving in a circular orbit around the earth.

a) Find the radius of the circular orbit
b)Find the Speed of the Satellite
c) Find the period of the orbit

Homework Equations

g=GM1M2/r2
Fc=Mv2/r
V=2∏r/T

The Attempt at a Solution

a)g=GM1M2/r2
Fnet = GM1M2/r2
r=√(6.67x10-11)(5.98x1024)(500)/3000 N)
r=8.15x106

b)3000 N= (500)V2/(8.15x106)
V=6994 m/s (25, 178 km/hr)

c) V= 2∏r/T
T=2∏r/V
T=7321.7 S (2.03 h)

Does everything look okay, I am really usure of my understanding of gravitational forces.. Thanks!

Fnet=MV2/r

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good to me
I didn't check the numbers but your working seems fine

is there anything specific that you don't understand about the gravitational force?

I can't think of anythin specifically that confuses me i just taught it to myself today and i want to make sure its all logical and I am not breaking rules etc. when doing calculations.. Thank you for your help and confidence boost!

Related to Satellite Gravitational Forces

What is the definition of satellite gravitational forces?

Satellite gravitational forces refer to the attractive force of gravity between a satellite and the object it is orbiting, such as a planet or moon.

How do satellite gravitational forces affect the motion of a satellite?

The gravitational force between a satellite and the object it is orbiting is what keeps the satellite in its orbit. This force causes the satellite to constantly accelerate towards the object it is orbiting, resulting in its circular or elliptical path around the object.

What factors influence the strength of satellite gravitational forces?

The strength of satellite gravitational forces depends on the masses of the two objects involved and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects and the closer they are to each other, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

Can satellite gravitational forces be used for propulsion?

Yes, satellite gravitational forces can be used for propulsion through the use of gravity-assist maneuvers. These maneuvers involve using the gravitational force of a planet or moon to change the velocity and direction of a satellite, allowing it to travel further and faster.

How do scientists calculate the gravitational forces between two objects?

The gravitational force between two objects can be calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.