Satellite (Gravitation) Question

I don't know how they got there.So, in summary, the question is asking for the orbital radius of a satellite with an orbital period of 5760s around earth. The question does not provide velocity or acceleration, but assuming a circular orbit, it can be solved using the equations P = { 2 \pi R \over v} and m { v^2 \over R} = G { m M \over R^2}, where M is the mass of the Earth and m is the mass of the satellite. This will result in two equations for two unknowns, R and v, which can be solved to find the orbital radius.
Destrio
A satellite has a orbital period of 5760s around earth. What is the orbital radius?

I'm not sure how I can do this without the velocity or acceleration.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Is no other information provided in the question?

no other information,
however, part of the question might have been cut off

EDIt: Never mind...

Last edited:
Destrio said:
A satellite has a orbital period of 5760s around earth. What is the orbital radius?

I'm not sure how I can do this without the velocity or acceleration.

Thanks,
I assume they mean that the orbit is circular.

Then simply use
[tex] P = { 2 \pi R \over v} [/tex]

and [tex] m { v^2 \over R} = G { m M \over R^2} [/tex]
where M is the mass of the Earth and m is the mass of the satellite. Then you have two equations for two unknowns: R and v. Which you can then solve.

Patrick

Related to Satellite (Gravitation) Question

What is satellite gravitation?

Satellite gravitation is the force exerted by a planet or other celestial body on an object in orbit around it. This force is responsible for keeping the object in orbit and is also known as the centripetal force.

How does satellite gravitation work?

Satellite gravitation works by the gravitational attraction between two objects. The larger object, such as a planet, exerts a force on the smaller object, such as a satellite, causing it to orbit around the larger object.

What factors affect satellite gravitation?

The strength of satellite gravitation is influenced by the mass and distance between the two objects. The larger the mass of the planet and the closer the satellite is to it, the stronger the gravitation force will be.

Why do satellites need to be launched into space?

In order for a satellite to achieve orbit, it needs to be launched into space using a rocket. This is because Earth's atmosphere creates drag which would slow down the satellite and prevent it from achieving the necessary speed to enter orbit.

How is satellite gravitation used in practical applications?

Satellite gravitation is used in a variety of practical applications, such as telecommunications, weather forecasting, and navigation. Satellites in orbit around Earth can also be used to study and monitor the planet's environment and natural resources.