Calculating Gravity Force with Energy of a System - Tips and Insights

• Thread starter Brad_Ad23
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the force of gravity between two objects by using the energy of a hypothetical gravity wave. The speaker is unsure if there is a formula or other method to determine the force, but suggests looking into the relationship between energy and momentum and considering the power transmitted by the wave. The other person mentions trying new methods but has not had success so far.
Brad_Ad23
Ouch, I got myself stumped. Say we are given the energy of a system (in this case let's consider it a hypothetical gravity wave). I have the energy of the wave that it has, derived from the change in momentum of the object it interacted with. I want to determine the force of gravity between the two objects to henceforth calculate the mass of the object emitting the wave (assume distance is known in this case as well). I suspect maybe it is a simple matter just going back to the change in momentum, but am not certain if there is another way given the energy of the wave. Any insights?

Physics news on Phys.org
h0 h0, I clicked this thread expecting to quickly solve your problem, but if you're working with gravity waves, your Physics skillz are likely much l33ter than mine

If I got handed a problem like that right now, I'd look around to see if there's a formula relating the wave's energy to its momentum, like there is with light waves, then combine that with the facts that force is the change in momentum with respect to time and that you probably have the power being transmitted by the wave, but you probably already did that to no avail

Maybe. I am basically trying some new tricks out, but who knows? Yeah I got nowhere with the power thing...though I might have a few more options left.

1. What is force and energy?

Force is a physical quantity that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is usually measured in Newtons (N). Energy is the ability to do work or cause a change in an object. It can come in different forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electrical energy.

2. How are force and energy related?

Force and energy are closely related. Force is required to do work or transfer energy to an object. Similarly, energy is needed to apply a force to an object. In simple terms, force and energy are two sides of the same coin.

3. What are some examples of force and energy in everyday life?

Some common examples of force and energy in everyday life include lifting a heavy object (applying a force), using a flashlight (converting chemical energy into light energy), and riding a bicycle (converting human energy into mechanical energy).

4. How is force and energy measured?

Force is typically measured using a spring scale or a device called a force meter. Energy is measured in joules (J) or other units such as calories or kilowatt-hours (kWh).

5. What are some ways to increase force or energy?

The amount of force or energy can be increased by applying a greater force or by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. Additionally, certain sources of energy, such as fossil fuels, can be used to produce more energy by increasing the efficiency of the conversion process.