Sampling With The Normal Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum value of n for a mean of a random sample drawn from a distribution and calculating the probability of the mean being within a certain range. The conversation suggests finding the distribution of the sum of quantities and using the error function to solve for the probability. The final answer is n>16.
ƒ(x) → ∞
I have been puzzling over this problem for about a week now and cannot find the answer. In my opinion it is very theoretical, but I know I ma not the best mathematician on here so maybe someone else could look at this.

The mean of a random sample of n observations drawn from an N([tex]\mu[/tex],[tex]\sigma[/tex]2) distribution is denoted by [tex]\bar{X}[/tex].

Given that p(|[tex]\bar{X}[/tex]-[tex]\mu[/tex]|>0.5[tex]\sigma[/tex])>0.05

(a) Find the smallest vaule of n
(b) With this value of n find p([tex]\bar{X}[/tex]<[tex]\mu[/tex]+0.1[tex]\sigma[/tex])

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to derive the probability distribution for [tex]\bar{X}[/tex]. This is possible, since it is a sum of n quantities for which you know the distribution. Tthe distribution for [tex]\bar{X}[/tex] willl depend on n. You can then calculate the probability that [tex]|\bar{X}-\mu|>\sigma/2[/tex] in the ordinary way. This gives you an inequality for n. Then find the smallest n that satisfies the inequality.

When you know n, you have completely specified the distribution for [tex]\bar{X}[/tex], and you can do part (b).

So the first step is to find the distribution of a sum of quantities, expressed in terms of their individual distributions.

Torquil

Do you mean [tex]\bar{X}[/tex]~N([tex]\mu[/tex],[tex]\sigma[/tex]2/n)

Where do I go from here if I knew the probability then I think I could manage.

Cool, that's the same thing I got. From that you can write the explicit gaussian probability density for e.g. [tex]u:=\bar{X}-\mu[/tex]. Call it e.g. [tex]\rho_n(u)[/tex]. It will depend on n of course. It will simply the usual normalied gaussian centered around u=0, with variance [tex]\sigma^2/n[/tex] I think.

Then the probability [tex]P(n)[/tex] that [tex]|u|>\sigma/2[/tex] is given as a integral that you can solve using the error function:

[tex]
P(n) = \int_{-\infty}^{-\sigma/2} \rho_n(u)du + \int^{\infty}_{\sigma/2} \rho_n(u)du
[/tex]

Then find the smallest n such that P(n)>0.05. Then fix this value of n, and just do another simple integral to get the answer to part b.

Agree?

Torquil

Got it now. It comes out n>16 so at least n=16. I used a different method which I will post now.

p([tex]\mu[/tex]-([tex]\sigma[/tex]/2)[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\overline{X}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\mu[/tex]+([tex]\sigma[/tex]/2)>0.95

=p(-[tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2[tex]\leq[/tex]z[tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2)>0.95

=[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2) - (1-([tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2))>0.95

=2[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2)-1>0.95

=2[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2)>1.95

=[tex]\phi[/tex]([tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2)>0.975

=([tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2)>([tex]\phi[/tex]-1)(0.975)

=([tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]/2>1.96

=[tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex]>3.92

=n>15.3664

But n is integer
Therefore n>16

The minimum value of n is therefore 16

Related to Sampling With The Normal Distribution

1. What is the normal distribution?

The normal distribution is a probability distribution that is symmetrical and bell-shaped. It is often used in statistics to model continuous data and is characterized by its mean and standard deviation.

2. How is sampling done with the normal distribution?

Sampling with the normal distribution involves selecting a random sample from a population that follows a normal distribution. This can be done using various sampling techniques such as simple random sampling or stratified sampling.

3. Why is sampling with the normal distribution important?

Sampling with the normal distribution is important because it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a smaller sample. It also allows us to estimate the parameters of the population, such as the mean and standard deviation.

4. How do you determine the sample size for sampling with the normal distribution?

The sample size for sampling with the normal distribution can be determined using various methods such as the central limit theorem or by calculating the margin of error. The sample size should be large enough to accurately represent the population while also being feasible to collect.

5. Can sampling with the normal distribution be used for non-normal populations?

Yes, sampling with the normal distribution can be used for non-normal populations. This is because of the central limit theorem, which states that as the sample size increases, the sampling distribution of the mean will approach a normal distribution regardless of the shape of the population distribution.