Sample distribution and expected value.

In summary, the expected value of a random variable, ##X_i##, is the same as the population average, ##\mu##.
kidsasd987
Consider a scenario where samples are randomly selected with replacement. Suppose that the population has a probability distribution with mean µ and variance σ 2 . Each sample Xi , i = 1, 2, . . . , n will then have the same probability distribution with mean µ and variance σ 2 . Now, let us calculate the mean and variance of X_bar: E(X_bar) = 1/n*(E(X1) + E(X2) + · · · + E(Xn)) = 1/n (µ + µ + · · · + µ ) = µ

*X_i is independent random variable.Hello. I wonder why the expected values of Xi are the same as population average µ.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Not sure what you mean with the probability distribution of a single sample. What's that ?

BvU said:
Hi,

Not sure what you mean with the probability distribution of a single sample. What's that ?

I guess it means that random variable has the same probability for P(X=x), like Bernoulli random variable.

Please refer to the link above.

Last edited:
It's probably more like a short form of saying that the set of all possible individual xi has the same probability distribution as ... (because it's the same population).

kidsasd987 said:
why the expected values of Xi are the same as population average µ
Well, that is because the expression in the definition of ##\mu## and the expression for the expectation value are identical.

BvU said:
It's probably more like a short form of saying that the set of all possible individual xi has the same probability distribution as ... (because it's the same population).

Well, that is because the expression in the definition of ##\mu## and the expression for the expectation value are identical.

I am sorry. Maybe I am too dumb to understand at once. Can you help me to figure out the questions below?
(*they are not homework questions but I wrote them in statement form because It'd be easier to answer.)1. Xi are the samples with n size.
Does that mean X1 can have n number of data within it? For example, let's say our population has a data set {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}
and X1 has a size of 2, then {1,2},{1,4},... on can be the sample X1.

2. (if 1 is correct) I understand why E(X)=μ, but how their samples E(X1),E(X2).. and on equal to μ.
E(X)=sigma(P(X=xi)*xi)
E(X1)=sigma(P(X1=xj)*xj) but the sum will be significantly smaller than E(X)?

Thanks.

1. Xi are the samples with n size.
Does that mean X1 can have n number of data within it? For example, let's say our population has a data set {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}
and X1 has a size of 2, then {1,2},{1,4},... on can be the sample X1.

2. (if 1 is correct) I understand why E(X)=μ, but how their samples E(X1),E(X2).. and on equal to μ.
E(X)=sigma(P(X=xi)*xi)
E(X1)=sigma(P(X1=xj)*xj) but the sum will be significantly smaller than E(X)?
Thanks.

##X_i## is not a sample. It is a random variable. We find the expectation value of that random variable defined as,
##E(X_i) = \Sigma{x_iP(x_i)} = \mu##
Hope this helps!

Related to Sample distribution and expected value.

What is a sample distribution?

A sample distribution is a probability distribution that represents the frequencies of observations in a sample from a larger population. It shows the range of values that a given variable can take on and the likelihood of each value occurring.

What is the expected value?

The expected value, also known as the mean or average, is a measure of central tendency that represents the theoretical long-term average of a random variable. It is calculated by multiplying each possible value of the variable by its probability of occurring and then summing all of these values.

How is the sample distribution related to the expected value?

The sample distribution is closely related to the expected value because the expected value is the theoretical center of the sample distribution. It represents the most likely outcome of a random variable and is used to make predictions about future observations.

What factors can affect the shape of a sample distribution?

The shape of a sample distribution can be affected by several factors, including the sample size, the variability of the data, and the underlying distribution of the population. A larger sample size tends to result in a more normal distribution, while a smaller sample size can lead to a more skewed distribution. Additionally, if the data is highly variable, the distribution may be wider and more spread out.

How is the expected value useful in decision making?

The expected value can be useful in decision making because it provides an objective measure of the potential outcomes of a decision. By calculating the expected value, we can estimate the most likely outcome and use this information to compare different options and make informed decisions.