Sample Correlation Coefficient Proof Help

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that abs(r) <= 1 using the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality. The formula for r is given as Cov(x,y)/(sxsy), and it is determined that abs(r) <= (sxsy) instead of the desired result of 1. This leads to the conclusion that there may be an error in using the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality.
Seda
I'm trying to prove that abs(r) <= 1.

(Ill apologize up front that I am not sure on how to write all equations properly in this forum, but Ill try to make it clear)

Note that this is all sample statistics, not population, which is why I'm using r and not rho.

I know that I have to use the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, and I can use that without proving that.

I have:

r= Cov(x,y)/(sxsy)

Therefore by Cauchy-Schwartz:

abs(r) <= (var(x)var(y))/(sxsy)

And since variance is the deviation squared

abs(r) <= (sx2sy2)/(sxsy)

leaving me with

abs(r) <= (sxsy)

Instead of the "1" I want.

My guess my error is somewhere in utlizing the cauchy schwartz but I am not sure..

Physics news on Phys.org
Start this way.

[tex]
cov(x,y) = \int \int (x - \overline x)(y - \overline y) h(x,y) \, dx dy
[/tex]

or, if you prefer

[tex]
cov(x,y) = E[(x-\overline x)(y - \overline y)]
[/tex]

Now apply cauchy-schwartz.

Last edited:

Related to Sample Correlation Coefficient Proof Help

What is the sample correlation coefficient?

The sample correlation coefficient is a statistical measure that quantifies the strength and direction of the linear relationship between two variables in a sample. It is denoted by r and ranges from -1 to 1, where 1 indicates a perfect positive correlation, 0 indicates no correlation, and -1 indicates a perfect negative correlation.

How is the sample correlation coefficient calculated?

The sample correlation coefficient is calculated by dividing the covariance of the two variables by the product of their standard deviations. The formula for calculating r is: r = (Σ((X - X̅)(Y - Ȳ))) / (√(Σ(X - X̅)^2) * √(Σ(Y - Ȳ)^2)), where X and Y are the two variables, X̅ and Ȳ are their respective means, and Σ represents the sum of the values in the sample.

What does a positive/negative correlation coefficient indicate?

A positive correlation coefficient (r > 0) indicates that as one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase. In other words, the two variables have a positive linear relationship. On the other hand, a negative correlation coefficient (r < 0) indicates that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease. This means that the two variables have a negative linear relationship.

What is the significance of the sample size in correlation coefficient calculations?

The sample size is an important factor in correlation coefficient calculations because a larger sample size generally leads to a more accurate estimation of the true population correlation. With a small sample size, the calculated correlation coefficient may not be representative of the true relationship between the two variables, and it may vary greatly from sample to sample.

Can the sample correlation coefficient be used to determine causation?

No, the sample correlation coefficient only measures the strength and direction of a linear relationship between two variables. It does not imply causation, as correlation does not necessarily mean causation. In other words, just because two variables are strongly correlated does not mean that one causes the other.