Tidal Forces at Work Between Large & Small Magellanic Clouds?

• Thread starter Smiley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud orbit our own galaxy, and the LMC deforms the gravitational field. The tidal forces pull long tails and streamers of stars and gas out of galaxies which pass near one another.
Smiley
I was just wondering about something, and maybe someone can clue me in. I was thinking about how the Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud orbit our own galaxy. And I was thinking... I wonder if there are tidal forces at work? I mean, the same way that the Moon causes high tides and low tides on the earth. When a small galaxy orbits our own, does it slightly stretch out our galaxy, like a high tide?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Smiley
I was just wondering about something, and maybe someone can clue me in. I was thinking about how the Large Magellanic Cloud and Small Magellanic Cloud orbit our own galaxy. And I was thinking... I wonder if there are tidal forces at work? I mean, the same way that the Moon causes high tides and low tides on the earth. When a small galaxy orbits our own, does it slightly stretch out our galaxy, like a high tide?

it is a reasonable idea and the analogy is on the right scale I think

the moon is 1/80 the mass of the earth
I am not sure exactly what fraction LMC is of MW but I think
it is about 1/100

distance of LMC is about 50 kpc
radius of MW is about 15 kpc
please someone correct these figures if they are way off
I am only sketching a rough idea

I am thinking that the analogy is very good in that the LMC deforms the gravitational field quite a bit
only it is not noticeable because in MW things revolve so slowly,
sun takes over 200 million years to go around
compared to our lifespan things are just standing still

where by contrast
the Earth rotates fast enough for us to see the tidal effect.

Welcome to Physics Forums, Smiley! :smile:

Originally posted by Smiley

More likely our Galaxy exerts tidal forces on the Magellanic Clouds. Also, I seem to remember they found another satellite galaxy on the opposite side of the galactic plane to us. It was found as it has material streaming into the MW. We are canabilising the satellite through tidal forces.

Tidal forces? You bet!

The Toomre brothers did some of the first modelling of galaxy interactions, several decades ago now. They showed that tidal forces pulled long tails and streamers of stars and gas out of galaxies which pass near one another. At that time the most spectacular pair had the name The Antennae; the Toomre's model reproduced the wonderful streamers very well.

More recently, the newly installed ACS instrument in the Hubble Space Telescope took a wonderful picture of another tidal tail from an interacting galaxy pair. The HST collection also has a close-up of Stephan's Quintet.

The Saggitarius Dwarf, which thed refers to, has just been in the news. Observations have shown that it is truly being torn to pieces by the Milky Way, through tidal interaction.

Lastly, but not so widely reported, is a study showing a globular cluster being shredded by close encounters of the Milky Way kind. See this link:
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0206/08survey/

1. What are tidal forces?

Tidal forces are the gravitational forces that occur when two bodies, such as galaxies, are close enough to each other to interact with each other's gravity. The force of gravity pulls on different parts of the bodies with varying strengths, causing them to stretch and distort.

2. How do tidal forces affect the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds?

The Large and Small Magellanic Clouds are two dwarf galaxies that are in close proximity to each other. The tidal forces between them cause them to interact and affect each other's structure and movement. This can result in the creation of new stars, the disruption of existing ones, and the distortion of the galaxies' shapes.

3. What causes tidal forces between galaxies?

The main cause of tidal forces between galaxies is their gravitational pull on each other. As the galaxies move closer together, their gravitational pull becomes stronger, resulting in tidal forces that can affect their structures and movement.

4. How do tidal forces impact the evolution of galaxies?

Tidal forces play a significant role in the evolution of galaxies. They can trigger star formation, cause mergers between galaxies, and influence the overall shape and structure of galaxies. Tidal forces also play a role in the formation of galaxy clusters and superclusters.

5. Can tidal forces between galaxies be measured?

Yes, tidal forces between galaxies can be measured using various techniques such as gravitational lensing, the study of galactic orbits, and analyzing the distribution of dark matter within galaxies. These measurements can help scientists better understand the dynamics and evolution of galaxies.