Same expressions, but different functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between two functions, f(x) = x/x and g(x) = 1, and whether algebraic transformations can be performed on expressions that are part of a function without knowing the value of the unknown number. The first expression is not defined for x = 0, while the second expression is defined for all real numbers. It is mentioned that the graph of f(x) and g(x) would be the same except for a hole at (0,1), and that even if the two functions are written as equal, they may still have different codomains and be considered different functions.
hellbike
f(x) = x/x

g(x) = 1

so... those are different functions? i don't know how to treat expressions like that.

When expression is not defined for some x=a, but after some algebraic transformations i get expresion defined for x=a ... what happends?

Can i make algebraic transformations on expressions with an unknown number without knowing it's value?
I know can.
But can i do this with epression that is part of a function?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You talk about "functions", but then it becomes very relevant to mention the domain. Assuming you mean the "maximal domain", i.e. all real numbers for which the expression is meaningful, then both functions are indeed different. The first expression is not defined for x = 0, since division by zero is undefined. The second expression of course also exists for x = 0; so yes: they are different.
The graph of f would be exactly the same as the graph of g, except for a "small hole" (or "perforation") at (0,1). The algebraic manipulation you would perform to go from x/x to 1, is only allowed for x nonzero so if you start with x/x, you can only simplify it to "1" if you keep track of the condition that this only holds for all nonzero x.

And even if you wrote f(x) = g(x) = x, they might still have different codomains and so be different functions.

Related to Same expressions, but different functions

What does it mean when two expressions are the same but have different functions?

When two expressions are the same but have different functions, it means that they may have the same symbols and structure, but they perform different operations or have different meanings in a given context.

Can two expressions have the same function but different structures?

Yes, two expressions can have the same function but different structures. This is often seen in mathematics, where different equations can produce the same result but have different arrangements of numbers and operators.

How can I determine if two expressions have the same function?

To determine if two expressions have the same function, you can compare their outputs for different inputs. If the results are the same, then the expressions have the same function. You can also look for patterns and relationships between the symbols and operations used in the expressions.

Why is it important to understand the difference between same expressions with different functions?

Understanding the difference between same expressions with different functions is important because it allows us to accurately interpret and solve problems. It also helps us avoid errors and misconceptions when working with mathematical or scientific concepts.

What are some real-life examples of same expressions with different functions?

Some real-life examples of same expressions with different functions include units of measurement, such as miles and kilometers, which both measure distance but have different conversion rates. Another example is the usage of the symbol "x" in mathematics, which can represent multiplication, an unknown value, or a variable depending on the context.