Salt Bridge: Maintaining Charge Flow in External Circuits

In summary, without a salt bridge, there is no flow of charge and no electrons flowing in the external circuit. The function of the salt bridge is to maintain neutrality, preventing the accumulation of positive and negative charges in different half cells. However, it takes time for these charges to accumulate, so there will still be some electron flow without a salt bridge. The speed of charge accumulation, potential changes, and forces involved can be calculated to understand the impact of not having a salt bridge.
gracy

Without the salt bridge then there is no flow of charge and there are no electrons flowing in the external circuit.?HOW?i know function of salt bridge is only to maintain neutrality i.e if salt bridge is not there there will be accumulation of positive charge in one half cell and negative charge in another half cell and this will prevent further flow of electron but till the +ive and -ive charges are not accumulated ,AS IT TAKES TIME electrons will flow SO THERE WILL BE FLOW OF ELECTRON EVEN WITHOUT SALT BRIDGE TO SOME EXTENT i.e UNTIL CHARGES DO NOT START ACCUMULATION RIGHT?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Without the salt bridge then there is no flow of charge and there are no electrons flowing in the external circuit.?HOW?i know function of salt bridge is only to maintain neutrality i.e if salt bridge is not there there will be accumulation of positive charge in one half cell and negative charge in another half cell and this will prevent further flow of electron but till the +ive and -ive charges are not accumulated ,AS IT TAKES TIME electrons will flow SO THERE WILL BE FLOW OF ELECTRON EVEN WITHOUT SALT BRIDGE TO SOME EXTENT i.e UNTIL CHARGES DO NOT START ACCUMULATION RIGHT?
No need to scream. Is this a homework problem?

Evo said:
No need to scream. Is this a homework problem?
i am not screaming at all i just wanted to emphasize it's importance.obviously it is not my homework problem it is conceptual doubt.

gracy said:
i am not screaming at all i just wanted to emphasize it's importance.obviously it is not my homework problem it is conceptual doubt.
Why do you think it should be obvious to anyone but you that this is not a homework problem?

When you bold a word or two here and there, it's emphasis. When you bold whole sentences, it's screaming.

Try to estimate how fast the charge accumulates. Try to calculate how fast the potential changes with charge accumulation (simplest way to do so would be to assume your system is just a capacitor). Try to calculate what forces are involved for accumulated charges.

phinds said:
Why do you think it should be obvious to anyone but you that this is not a homework problem?

When you bold a word or two here and there, it's emphasis. When you bold whole sentences, it's screaming.
sorry i also think it is not obvious that this is not a homework problem.

Related to Salt Bridge: Maintaining Charge Flow in External Circuits

1. What is a salt bridge?

A salt bridge is a device used in electrochemistry to maintain the flow of charge between two half-cells in an external circuit. It typically consists of an electrolyte solution, such as a salt solution, that connects the two half-cells and allows for the exchange of ions.

2. Why is a salt bridge necessary in external circuits?

In an external circuit, the flow of electrons from one half-cell to another can create an imbalance of charge. This can hinder the reaction taking place in the half-cells and eventually cause the circuit to stop functioning. A salt bridge helps to maintain a balance of charge and allows for the continuous flow of electrons.

3. What happens if a salt bridge is not present in an external circuit?

If a salt bridge is not present in an external circuit, the separation of charges can create an electric field that opposes the flow of electrons. This can lead to a decrease in the rate of the reaction and eventually stop the flow of electrons altogether.

4. How does a salt bridge maintain charge flow?

A salt bridge maintains charge flow by allowing the exchange of ions between the two half-cells. As electrons flow from one half-cell to the other, positively charged ions move through the salt bridge to neutralize any excess negative charge and maintain a balance of charge.

5. Can a salt bridge be replaced by any other material?

A salt bridge is a specific type of device designed for maintaining charge flow in external circuits. While other materials may serve a similar purpose, the unique properties of a salt bridge make it the most effective and commonly used method for this task in electrochemistry.