Sakurai - Constructing 2x2 matrix from scalars?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a matrix in Sakurai's 2nd Edition book on QM, which includes a scalar and a dot product. The speaker is confused by this notation and asks for clarification on how to construct a 2X2 matrix from it. Another person explains that the correct notation should include a sum of the scalar and three Pauli matrices. This clarification helps the speaker better understand the concept.
Adoniram
Hello all, I am beginning a course in QM with Sakurai's 2nd Edition book on QM. In one of our problems, he defines a matrix as the sum of a scalar and a dot product... This seems like nonsense to me, but he uses the same notation in the next problem, so I am guessing this is some unorthodox notation he uses. Can someone please enlighten me how to construct a 2X2 matrix from this definition?

X = a[itex]_{o}[/itex] + [itex]\overline{\sigma}[/itex] [itex]\bullet[/itex] [itex]\overline{a}[/itex]

(btw, the problem is not to construct the matrix. The problem is 1.2 from the 2nd edition if you want to look it up, and involved relating the scalars to the trace of X. If I can define X, I can do the rest)

Anyway, to me it looks like X is a scalar itself, not a 2X2 matrix, but allegedly it's a matrix... My only guess is that he's using some bizarre rule where Det(X) = X, but again, that's nonsense... Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's even worse than you think, since ##\vec{\sigma}## is actually a vector of matrices!

What it means, using correct mathematics, is
$$
X = a_0 \mathbf{1} + \sum_{i=1}^3 a_i \mathbf{\sigma}_i
$$
where ##\mathbf{1}## is the ##(2 \times 2)## identity matrix and ##\mathbf{\sigma}_i## the Pauli matrices
$$
\mathbf{\sigma}_1 = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
$$
$$
\mathbf{\sigma}_2 = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{array} \right)
$$
$$
\mathbf{\sigma}_3 = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right)
$$

Likes CosmicBob
Oh my gosh... that helps a LOT. Thank you!

Related to Sakurai - Constructing 2x2 matrix from scalars?

1. What is Sakurai's method for constructing a 2x2 matrix from scalars?

Sakurai's method involves using two scalar values to create a 2x2 matrix with a specific structure. The first scalar is placed in the top left and bottom right positions, while the second scalar is placed in the bottom left and top right positions. This results in a matrix with a diagonal pattern.

2. Why is Sakurai's method useful in constructing matrices?

Sakurai's method is useful because it allows for a quick and easy way to create a 2x2 matrix with a specific structure. This structure can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving systems of equations or representing transformations in two-dimensional space.

3. Does Sakurai's method only work for 2x2 matrices?

Yes, Sakurai's method is specifically designed for constructing 2x2 matrices. However, similar methods can be used for constructing matrices of different sizes.

4. Can Sakurai's method be used for non-scalar values?

No, Sakurai's method is only applicable for scalar values. Scalar values are single numbers that do not have direction or magnitude, such as integers or real numbers. Non-scalar values, such as vectors or matrices, require different methods for constructing them.

5. What are some real-world applications of using Sakurai's method?

Sakurai's method can be applied in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to represent and solve mathematical problems. For example, it can be used to represent forces acting on an object in physics, or to model financial transactions in economics.