Sakurai, Chapter 1 Problems 23 & 24

• Thread starter quantumkiko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, we discussed finding the simultaneous eigenkets of two commuting operators A and B using the fact that their simultaneous eigenkets form a complete set. In problem 23, we found that the eigenkets of A are \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right) and \left( \begin{array}{c} -1 \\ -1 \end{array}\right) , while the eigenkets of B are \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 & 1/\sqrt{2} & i/\sqrt{2} \end{array} \right) , \left( \begin{array
quantumkiko
Problem 23:
If a certain set of orthonormal kets, [tex] |1> |2> |3> [/tex], are used as the base kets, the operators A and B are represented by

[tex]
A = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} a & 0 & 0 \\
0 & -a & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -a \end{array} \right)

B = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} b & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & -ib \\
0 & ib & 0 \end{array} \right).

[/tex]

A and B commute. Find a new set of orthonormal kets which are simultaneous eigenkets of both A and B. Specify the eigenvalues of A and B for each of the three eigenkets. Does your specification of eigenvalues completely characterize each eigenket?

Problem 24:
Prove that [tex] (1 / \sqrt{2})(1 + i\sigma_x) [/tex] acting on a two-component spinor can be regarded as the matrix representation of the rotation operator about the x-axis by angle [tex] -\pi / 2[/tex]. (The minus sign signifies that the rotation is clockwise.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi quantumkiko! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

Hi Tim!

In problem 23, I don't know how to represent the simultaneous eigenkets [tex] |a, b> [/tex]. I just know how to solve the eigenvalues for each operator using the characteristic equation (some are degenerate). I also know that for two commuting observables, their simultaneous eigenkets form a complete set. Therefore, their simultaneous eigenkets are automatically orthogonal. That's all.

For problem 24, I think we have to show that the result of letting the operator [tex] (1 / \\sqrt{2})(1 + i\\sigma_x) [/tex] act on a spinor is equivalent to a rotation operator acting on the same spinor. For a spinor of unit length, I used the matrix representation [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} \cos \theta & \sin\theta \end{array} \right) [/tex] (I think this is where I was wrong.) Since the angle of rotation is [tex] -\pi / 2 [/tex], the rotation matrix will be given by,

[tex] \left( \begin{array}{cc} cos(-\pi / 2) & sin(-\pi / 2) \\ -sin(-\pi / 2) & cos(-\pi / 2) \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex].

If I let this operator act on the spinor, the resulting s

Last edited:
Hint: in problem 23, just look at the bottom right-hand 2x2 square of A …

it's a multiple of the unit matrix!

so its eigenkets are … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hint: in problem 23, just look at the bottom right-hand 2x2 square of A …

it's a multiple of the unit matrix!

so its eigenkets are … ? :smile:

It's eigenkets are [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right) and \left( \begin{array}{c} -1 \\ -1 \end{array}\right) [/tex]?

quantumkiko said:
It's eigenkets are [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right) and \left( \begin{array}{c} -1 \\ -1 \end{array}\right) [/tex]?

waah! :cry:

think … if C is the 2x2 unit matrix,

for what vectors or kets V is CV = V? :biggrin:

Oh, for all kets V! So how does that fit into finding the simultaneous eigenstates of A and B?

quantumkiko said:
Oh, for all kets V! So how does that fit into finding the simultaneous eigenstates of A and B?

Well, there's one obvious simultaneous eigenstate …

and once you've found the other two eigenstates of B, they're bound to be eigenstates of A also. :smile:

(i'm logging out now for a few hours :wink:)

I got it! The obvious one is [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex] while the others are [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 & 1/\sqrt{2} & i/\sqrt{2} \end{array} \right) [/tex] and [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 & -1/\sqrt{2} & -i/\sqrt{2} \end{array} \right) [/tex]. Thank you very much!

Now how about Problem # 24?

quantumkiko said:
…while the others are [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 & 1/\sqrt{2} & i/\sqrt{2} \end{array} \right) [/tex] and [tex] \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 & -1/\sqrt{2} & -i/\sqrt{2} \end{array} \right) [/tex].

erm … they're the same! :redface:
Now how about Problem # 24?

Le'ssee …
quantumkiko said:
Problem 24:
Prove that [tex] (1 / \sqrt{2})(1 + i\sigma_x) [/tex] acting on a two-component spinor can be regarded as the matrix representation of the rotation operator about the x-axis by angle [tex] -\pi / 2[/tex]. (The minus sign signifies that the rotation is clockwise.)

Well … to prove it's a π/2 rotation …

the obvious thing to do is to square it! :biggrin:

Oh yeah, I should really get different eigenkets, not just multiples of one of the other. So the other two should be [tex]
\left( \begin{array}{c} 0 & 1/\sqrt{2} & i/\sqrt{2} \end{array} \right)
[/tex] and [tex]
\left( \begin{array}{c} 0 & i/\sqrt{2} & 1/\sqrt{2} \end{array} \right)
[/tex]
I was thinking that they won't be orthonormal, but I forgot that one of the [tex] i [/tex]'s changes sign when doing the inner product.

I got Problem # 24 also. Thank you!

Related to Sakurai, Chapter 1 Problems 23 & 24

1. What is the purpose of Sakurai, Chapter 1, Problems 23 & 24?

The purpose of these problems is to apply the concepts and principles learned in Chapter 1 of Sakurai's "Modern Quantum Mechanics" to solve specific mathematical problems related to quantum mechanics.

2. What topics are covered in Sakurai, Chapter 1, Problems 23 & 24?

These problems cover topics such as wavefunctions, operators, eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, and probability distributions in quantum mechanics.

3. How difficult are Sakurai, Chapter 1, Problems 23 & 24?

The difficulty of these problems may vary depending on the individual's understanding of quantum mechanics and mathematical skills. However, they are designed to challenge and reinforce the concepts learned in Chapter 1.

4. Are solutions provided for Sakurai, Chapter 1, Problems 23 & 24?

Solutions are typically not provided in the textbook for these problems. However, there are many online resources and study guides that offer solutions and explanations for these and other quantum mechanics problems.

5. Can Sakurai, Chapter 1, Problems 23 & 24 be solved using a computer program?

While it is possible to use computer programs to solve these problems, it is recommended to first attempt them by hand to fully understand the concepts and principles involved in quantum mechanics. Programs can be used as a tool to check solutions and further explore the concepts presented in the problems.