Sailing with a Trolley and a Bag of Sugar

• Thread starter kateman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flat
In summary, the problem involves a 15kg girl riding a 5kg trolley at a speed of .5 m/s. She throws a 3kg bag of sugar with a velocity of 4m/s relative to her original motion. The final velocity of the girl and trolley system is .1m/s backwards. The calculation involves using the formula m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, where m1 is the combined mass of the girl and trolley and m2 is the mass of the bag. The final velocity of the bag is 4.5m/s.
kateman

Homework Statement

While coasting along a street at .5m/s, Mieko, a 15kg girl in a 5kg trolly, sees a vicious dog in front of her. She has with her only a 3kg bag of sugar which she is bringing home from the store, and throws it with forward velocity of 4m/s relative to her original motion. How fast is she moving after she throws the bag of sugar? whit is her final direction of motion?

Homework Equations

p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

right so i did p=mv of the trolley (worked out to be 11.5) and then of the bag being thrown (worked out to be 12)

the next step confused me. if i divide 11.5 by 12, i get the right answer of .9582 backwards. but i cannot see how that is mathematically correct.

now if i use the m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f formula, i only get a value half of the correct answer!
can someone please explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that .9582 is the correct answer? I'm not getting that.

You can consider Mieko and the trolley together as one system of 20kg. so m1 is 20kg. m2 is 3kg.

use:

[tex]m1*v_{trolleyinitial} + m2*v_{baginitial} = m1*v_{trolleyfinal} + m2*v_{bagfinal}[/tex]

You're right that initial total momentum is 11.5. The velocity of the bag is 4m/s relative to the initial motion, so the final velocity of the bag is 4.5m/s.

well the correct answer is .1m/s backwards
i just realized what i had done. i misread .9 and though it was .09 so that it could be rounded up to .1

and then i didnt think that the bag would also have the two velocities (of bag and trolley added together)

haha i have to stop doing physics late at night :P

thanks learningphysics, its always helpful to have someone else to see what i have overlooked :)

Related to Sailing with a Trolley and a Bag of Sugar

1. Can a trolley and a bag of sugar really be used to sail?

Yes, it is possible to use a trolley and a bag of sugar to sail. This method is known as the "trolley and sugar sail" and it has been used by sailors for centuries.

2. How does the trolley and sugar sail work?

The trolley and sugar sail works by using the bag of sugar as a weight to create a counterbalance to the wind. The trolley acts as the sail and can be steered to catch the wind and propel the boat forward.

3. What type of boat is best for sailing with a trolley and a bag of sugar?

The type of boat best suited for sailing with a trolley and a bag of sugar is a small, lightweight boat such as a dinghy or a rowboat. These types of boats are easier to maneuver and can be propelled by the wind with the trolley and sugar sail.

4. Is sailing with a trolley and a bag of sugar safe?

Like any type of sailing, there are risks involved with sailing with a trolley and a bag of sugar. It is important to have proper knowledge and experience before attempting this method of sailing. It is also important to follow safety precautions such as wearing a life jacket and checking weather conditions before setting sail.

5. Can the trolley and sugar sail be used in all types of weather?

No, the trolley and sugar sail is best used in mild to moderate wind conditions. It is not recommended to use this method in strong winds or storms as it can be dangerous and difficult to control the boat.