Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection

• Thread starter jety89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, the documentary "PBS NOVA 2013 Earth from space" suggests a connection between the Sahara desert and the Amazon rainforest, with the desert providing phosphates to the rainforest. However, the age of the Sahara desert (only 6000 years old) raises questions about how the rainforest has survived for millions of years. There is no clear answer to this question and more studies are needed. The article in the IOPScience journal also explores this topic and suggests other potential sources of phosphate for the rainforest. Some believe that the rainforest is a closed system, while others argue that it may require outside nutrients. The concept of rainforests being the "lungs of the planet" is also debated. Finally
jety89
Hi

I am being told in "PBS NOVA 2013 Earth from space" that the Amason rainforest is being fed continously with phosphites from the Sahara desert where an ancient lakebed releases diatomites into the atmosphere.
All good and well - you might think. But wait! The same program, as well as other sources claim the Sahara desert to be 6000 years old only. So how did the rainforest in South America survived for millions of years, or otherwise -- just how strong Is the dependence of the vegetation in the Amasonas basin on the Sahara nutrients?
Are there any studies of this, or has this question never been asked before?
Why is this connection being quoted so many times? Is it that important of a discovery?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I guess we could trace sources like this and this confirming the narration.

To my knowledge that question has not popped up anywhere. Also , looking at the totally different paleoclimate situation compared to today, I could imagine that there may be/have been other sources for the mineral requirements for the Amazon rain forest.

Thanks for the sources

The article in the IOPScience journal suggests that

*the makers are also interested in these questions:
"Answers to these questions are needed to understand the nature of the emissions in the past, and the future capability of the Bodélé to fertilize the Amazon."

*they list all, or most of the relevant sources available.

*they are dedicated to answering these questions.

*But there is no anser yet to them.

Therefore, I think it is satisfactory to evaluate our current state of knowledge on the question about the importance of the Bodélé depression as a phosphate source to the amazon.
Still, it would be interesting to know, if there are other "hidden", or less interesting sources of phosfate available to the rainforest. I would imagine that those sorts of minerals could come from the Andes, transported using the river system. The Amason rainforest seems to have existed for millions and millions of years, without ever becoming a "wet desert". In fact, I don't really know of any good example of a wet desert in existence today. Any suggestions?

There appears to be a school of thought that the Amazon rainforest is a closed system, not requiring any input other than sun and water. The soil is generally impoverished except in certain localities where people built villages and towns and recycled body waste to build up a black soil for crops. Although rainforests are sometimes known as the lungs of the planet they do not seem to have any useful oxygen surplus.

Storms in the Sahara sometimes dump loads of sand in the UK, most of it on my car;-) 100s of thousands of tons at a time, apparently.

It's customary to make statements like that supported by evidence. There have been instances like the Younger Dryas that things were a bit different. But that's to keep science awake and non-complacent.

Sorry, I should have put in some references. In common with many readers of these forums, I have a limited access to real scientific papers. But everyone should be able to get to these...The fertility of the Amazon rainforest soil is dealt with indirectly in this Wikipedia page. Useful references are at the bottom of the page:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

On the "lungs of the planet" we have...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Rainforest_are_sometimes_called_the_lung_of_the_earth_what_does_it_mean

...and...

http://www.agairupdate.com/article_detail.php?_kp_serial=00000571

And finally, on UK sand from Sahara...
http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/dust-storm-brings-saharan-sand-to-the-uk/
(If you look at the dust on your car after these events under a microscope you can see classic wind-born sand - sand in a low energy environment tends to be silicate with rounded grains, unlike the high-energy environment of the sea)

Hope this is useful

Last edited by a moderator:
Very mouch so, thank you

Related to Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection

What is the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection?

The Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection refers to the theory that the two largest deserts and rainforests in the world were once connected by a vast savanna ecosystem. This connection is believed to have existed during a period of increased rainfall and vegetation growth, known as the "Green Sahara" or "African Humid Period", which occurred between 11,000 and 5,000 years ago.

What evidence supports the existence of the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection theory. These include geological and paleoclimatic data, such as sediment cores and fossil records, which show a shift in vegetation patterns and the presence of similar species in both regions. Additionally, genetic studies of plants and animals have revealed a connection between populations in the Sahara and Amazon, suggesting a shared history.

How did the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection impact human migration?

The Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection is believed to have played a significant role in human migration. The presence of a continuous savanna ecosystem would have provided a more hospitable environment for early humans to travel and settle, as opposed to the harsh desert and dense rainforest barriers that exist today. This may have allowed for the spread of culture, language, and technology across the two regions.

Is the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection still relevant today?

While the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection is thought to have occurred thousands of years ago, its impact can still be seen today. Many plant and animal species in both regions share a common ancestry, and the climatic changes that led to the connection are believed to have influenced the development of human societies. Additionally, studying this connection may provide insights into how ecosystems respond to climate change.

What further research is needed to fully understand the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection?

There is still much to learn about the Sahara - Amazon rainforest connection, and further research is needed to fully understand its complexities. This may include more extensive genetic studies, geological and paleoclimatic analysis, and the use of advanced technologies such as remote sensing. Additionally, interdisciplinary collaboration between scientists from different fields will be crucial in piecing together the full story of this fascinating connection.