Saha Equation: Unravelling the Mystery of Hydrogen Ionization in Sun's Core

In summary, the conversation discusses the Saha Equation and how it relates to the ionization of hydrogens in the core of the sun. The question is about getting an extremely small number, which may indicate that almost all of the hydrogens have not been ionized. The equation involves NII being the ionized hydrogen and NI being the neutral hydrogen, and the answer should result in a large number, not a small one. However, after reviewing an example in the book, it seems that the small number should be put into the equation, which contradicts the initial understanding of the equation.
leroyjenkens
In the picture, I have the question and the Saha Equation.
I have all the correct answers for all the variables and constants on the right side of the equation, and I've done the calculation twice, and I'm getting an answer of 1.56x10-28
That is equal to the left side, which is NII/(NI+NII).
NII are ionized hydrogens and NI are neutral hydrogens.

Edit: Actually, after looking at it, what is the left side of that equation? It's not NII/(NI+NII), is it? The text of this book had me thinking it was.

The question indicates that almost all of the hydrogens will be ionized in the core of the sun, but that means I'm supposed to be getting an extremely large number, not an extremely small one. My answer indicates that almost all of the hydrogens have not been ionized. I don't see a way around that given this equation.

Thanks.

Attachments

• saha.jpg
    saha.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,246
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok after looking at an example in the book, I think I need to put that tiny number into NII/(NI+NII)

With NII being the ionized hydrogen, and NI being neutral hydrogen. But getting that extremely small number says that I have almost zero ionized hydrogens, which makes no sense. Do the units make sense in this equation? I think there's no way that the small number I got is correct.

Related to Saha Equation: Unravelling the Mystery of Hydrogen Ionization in Sun's Core

1. What is the Saha Equation?

The Saha Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, and the abundance of ionized particles in a gas. It is used to understand the process of ionization, which is the conversion of neutral particles into charged particles, in the Sun's core.

2. How does the Saha Equation help us understand the Sun's core?

The Saha Equation allows scientists to calculate the amount of ionization happening in the Sun's core, which is crucial for understanding the energy production and stability of the Sun. It also helps us understand the composition of the Sun's core and how it changes over time.

3. Who developed the Saha Equation?

The Saha Equation was developed by the Indian astrophysicist Meghnad Saha in 1920. He was studying the behavior of atoms in stellar atmospheres and used the equation to explain the ionization of hydrogen in the Sun's core.

4. Why is understanding hydrogen ionization in the Sun's core important?

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Sun's core and plays a critical role in the Sun's energy production. By understanding the process of hydrogen ionization, we can better understand the mechanisms that power the Sun and other stars.

5. How is the Saha Equation used in other areas of science?

The Saha Equation is not only used in astrophysics, but also in other fields such as plasma physics and chemistry. It is a fundamental equation that describes the behavior of ionized particles in a gas, making it applicable in a wide range of studies and industries.