Can Information Travel Back in Time through Quantum Physics?

In summary, although it is theoretically possible to encode information in particles which travel back in time, there is no evidence to suggest that this is actually happening.
Gnophos
Is it theoretically possible to encode information in particles which travel back in time? I realize this is a can of worms question. I am also not too sharp with QP. Isn't there a theory in Quantum Physics that there are "forwards" and "backwards" photons which meet each other in time? So I am wondering if data could be carried that way.

Feel free to speculate. I'm writing a story and I am simply looking for a general excuse for a hypothetical device being able to send back messages in time. So the audience won't care whether the theory holds up in a room of qualified scientists, only whether it sounds "believable" that messages can be sent backwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Umm... hello?

I know there is a separate area for Time Travel posts, but this really does relate to QP. Does anyone understand my question? or should I have posted it somewhere else?

The uneasy coexistence

Although some interpretations of QM postulate signals that travel instantaneously (as in Bohmian mechanics) or back in time (as in the transactional interpretation) these are by no means universally agreed upon. Also, QM exhibits something which has been called the 'uneasy coexistance' with relativity. This means that although it is possible to use signals that travel faster than the speed of light to explain some phenomena, these can NEVER be used for communication. This is shown by the so-called 'no-signalling' theorem.

Your best bet for time traveling signals, if you want to make them scientifically plausible, is to make use of general relativity (via wormholes) and possibly the many-worlds interpretation of QM in order to avoid time travel paradoxes.

However, there has never been a strict requirement that fiction should be scientifically plausible in the first place. Despite the fact that series such as Star Trek employ scientific consultants, devices such as 'inertial dampers', 'transporters' and 'replicators' remain highly dubious from a realistic perspective. Therefore, I suggest you use whatever sort of device is needed to make your story work.

Originally posted by slyboy

Your best bet for time traveling signals, if you want to make them scientifically plausible, is to make use of general relativity (via wormholes) ...

I totally agree with all of slyboys answer but the suggestion about wormholes leaves me cold.. It is SO overdone. Nearly all Sci Fi writers, TV programme makers etc use the 'wormhole' solution. It is a bit of a cop out really, I think.

In class (I teach Physics), all I ever hear when we discuss BB Theory, QM, Relativity, etc is 'wormholes wormholes wormholes...!" I'm SICK of hearing about bloody wormholes!

So, if you do use 'wormholes' yes, your audience will be familiar with the idea, but why not think of a new idea - it will make your work standout from the rest.
Slyboys last paragraph is spot on!

Hey, thanks, guys. I think I know what you're talking about, slyboy, when you say that no signalling is possible. That's a shame.

I will still look for some rational explanation, though (I wanted the story to be just a little more plausible than Star Trek pseudo-science). Wormholes are a possibility, but a little cliche, as Adrian Baker pointed out. Well, you've given me something to think about. Back to the drawing board, I guess. :)

Rudy Rucker likes to use causal loops for this kind of thing and materials in which light appears to travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum (see his short story collection 'Gnarl').

Although most physicists agree that none of these things can be used to signal faster than light, there are a few loopholes in current theory and experiment that might be exploited. Recently, experiments were done to test no-signalling using these sort of materials and the findings supported the consensus view, but they were not entirely conclusive.

http://physicsweb.org/article/world/16/12/3
http://physicsweb.org/article/world/13/9/3/1

1. How does time travel of information work?

Time travel of information is a theoretical concept that suggests the possibility of transmitting information from one point in time to another. This is based on the idea that time is not a linear progression, but rather a fluid concept that can be manipulated.

2. Can information really travel through time?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of information traveling through time. However, some theories in physics, such as quantum entanglement, suggest that information can be transferred instantly between two points in space, which could potentially be applied to the concept of time travel of information.

3. What are the potential implications of time travel of information?

If time travel of information were to be possible, it could have significant implications for communication and technology. It could potentially allow for instantaneous communication across vast distances and could also impact the way we store and access information.

4. Is time travel of information ethical?

This is a complex question that raises ethical concerns about the potential consequences of manipulating time. It is important to consider the potential risks and benefits before attempting to develop technology that could enable time travel of information.

5. How close are we to achieving time travel of information?

At this point in time, time travel of information is purely a theoretical concept and there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports its feasibility. While there have been some experiments that suggest the possibility of sending information through time, it is still a long way from being a reality.