Access computers behind a router?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to access computers behind a router from the internet and how to do so. It is mentioned that the specific steps may vary depending on the operating system and router being used. It is also noted that port forwarding may be necessary and instructions can usually be found in the router's manual.
aychamo
Hey guys!

Is there a way to access computers behind a router? I mean.. I know I have some specific IP address that the router has, and then the router gives each of my computers an IP. Is there a way to access the computers behind the router from the internet?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It depends.

What OS are the computers running?

Have you set them up to be accessed from the internet? For instance, in most windows OSs, you merely right click on a folder and then click Sharing, which will allow you to configure the folder, set restrictions, passwords and what not.

Are you just trying to access certain files on the computers, or what?

Usually, the router must be told to forward certain ports to certain computers.

Sorry, I should have given more information. The computers run WinME and WinXP. Say I have a webserver running on one computer, would I be able to access it from outside of my firewall?

And my computers have shared names, say as "desktop1", could I reference them as that instead of their specific IP? I see an option on my router for VPN, is this any use?

You want to forward port 80 HTTP to your computer's IP. Depending on your router the instructions to set this up will be different. Consult your manual for details.

Ahh cool, I found this with port forwarding. Thank you!

1. How can I access computers behind a router?

To access computers behind a router, you will need to set up port forwarding. This involves opening specific ports on the router and directing traffic to the desired computer behind the router. Each router has a different process for setting up port forwarding, so it is important to consult the router's manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions.

2. Can I access computers behind a router remotely?

Yes, you can access computers behind a router remotely by setting up remote desktop or virtual private network (VPN) connections. These methods allow you to securely access your computer from a remote location as if you were physically present at the computer.

3. Is it safe to access computers behind a router?

It can be safe to access computers behind a router if proper security measures are in place. This includes using strong passwords, enabling firewalls, and regularly updating software and firmware. It is also important to only open necessary ports for remote access and to monitor network traffic for any suspicious activity.

4. Can I access computers behind a router from different networks?

Yes, you can access computers behind a router from different networks by setting up a virtual private network (VPN). This allows you to securely connect to your home or office network from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection. It is important to set up a strong and secure VPN to prevent unauthorized access.

5. Are there any alternatives to accessing computers behind a router?

Yes, there are alternative methods for accessing computers behind a router, such as using remote desktop or file sharing services. However, these methods may not be as secure as setting up a VPN. It is important to weigh the benefits and risks of each method and choose the one that best fits your needs and level of security.