Model Car Formula: Fastest Time on Track

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a car for a track, with equations for mph, rpm, and gear ratio provided. There is a question about finding the perfect gear ratio for different track lengths and how to determine the maximum mph. It is suggested to calculate the top speed and use that to determine the gearing.
jacko88
hi, at uni there's a track about 6 or 7 metres long, and we have been assigned a task to create a car that has the fastest time possible. I have found these equations...

mph = (rpm x tire diameter) / (gear ratio x 336)
rpm = (mph x gear ratio x 336) / tire daimeter
gear ratio = (rpm x tire diameter) / (mph x 336)

obviously if the track was 200m long, the gear ratio would have to be geared up for speed, and on a 2m track the car would needs a lot of acceleration, but how can i use a forumula to create the perfect gear ratio? I realize that gear ratio = (rpm x tire diameter) / (mph x 336) would work, but how do i find the maximum mph? please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first formula suggests that the lower the gear ratio, the higher the speed. You know that this is not true. Take your typical 24-speed bicycle, drive it on a flat road, and see if you can get most speed out of the highest gear. You cannot, no matter how long the track is. You mentioned acceleration and that lower gearing is required because of inertia. The missing component is of course the dissipative forces (rolling resistance, air drag). After getting up to speed, optimum gearing is simply where maximum available power is going completely into these forces. So what you do is calculate the top speed from the max power plus formulas for drag, note what rpm is required for that max power, and calculate the gearing.

Hi there! It sounds like you have a fun project to work on. As you have correctly identified, the gear ratio plays a crucial role in determining the speed of a car on a track. To find the maximum mph, you can use the first equation you mentioned: mph = (rpm x tire diameter) / (gear ratio x 336). In order to find the perfect gear ratio, you will need to know the maximum rpm of your car's engine and the tire diameter. Once you have those values, you can plug them into the equation and solve for the gear ratio that will give you the desired mph. Keep in mind that other factors such as aerodynamics and weight of the car will also affect the speed, so it may take some trial and error to find the perfect gear ratio. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of "Model Car Formula: Fastest Time on Track"?

The purpose of "Model Car Formula: Fastest Time on Track" is to determine the fastest time a model car can complete a designated track. This allows for competition and testing of different model car designs and techniques.

2. How is the fastest time on track determined?

The fastest time on track is determined by timing the model car as it completes the designated track. The time is measured from the moment the car starts moving to the moment it crosses the finish line. The fastest time is the shortest time recorded.

3. What factors can affect the model car's time on track?

The model car's time on track can be affected by various factors such as the design and weight of the car, the type of wheels and tires used, the quality of the track surface, and external factors like wind and temperature.

4. How can I improve the time of my model car on track?

To improve the time of your model car on track, you can experiment with different designs and modifications to reduce weight and increase aerodynamics. Choosing the right wheels and tires, as well as properly tuning the car's suspension, can also make a significant impact on the car's performance.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when participating in "Model Car Formula: Fastest Time on Track"?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when participating in "Model Car Formula: Fastest Time on Track". This includes wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves, ensuring the track is clear of obstacles and debris, and following any specific rules or guidelines set by the competition or event organizers.