S^n not a mapping cylinder. S^n and homeom. subspaces

In summary, for the given problem, it is known that the only mapping cylinder that is a manifold is the identity map i: M-->M with M a manifold. This leads to the conclusion that for f:X-->Y, X and Y both equal S^n. Additionally, if S^n deformation-retracts to Y, then it is also homeomorphic to Y. This can be seen through the definition of a deformation retract, which contracts a topological space X onto a subspace A of X such that the inclusion map from A to X is homotopic to the identity map on X. Furthermore, if f:S^n-->Z, where Z<S^n is a homeomorphism, then Z is compact and open, and thus, by
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, everyone:

I have been trying to show this using the following:

Given f: Y-->X

IF S^n ~ Y_f(x) , then S^n deformation-retracts to Y , and ( not sure of this)

also is homeomorphic to Y (I know Y_f(x) is homotopic to Y ) . But ( so I am

branching out into more sub-problems) S^n is not homeomorphic to any of its

subspaces : if f:S^n -->Z , Z<S^n is a homeomorphism, then Z is compact,

and, by Invariance of Domain, Z is also open. Then , by connectedness, Z=S^n.

Anyway. I also have --tho I am not sure if this helps -- that , I think that

the only mapping cylinder that is a manifold is the identity i: M-->M , with

M a manifold. If this is true, this means that f:X-->Y as above has X=Y =S^n

Any Other Ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it helps to know that the only mapping cylinder that is a manifold is the identity map i: M-->M with M a manifold. This means that for f:X-->Y, X and Y both equal S^n. Now, if S^n deformation-retracts to Y, then it also follows that S^n is homeomorphic to Y. Recall that a deformation retract is a continuous map which contracts a topological space X onto a subspace A of X such that the inclusion map from A to X is homotopic to the identity map on X. In this case, since S^n deformation-retracts to Y, it follows that S^n is homeomorphic to Y. As for the second part of your question, it is true that if f:S^n-->Z, where Z<S^n is a homeomorphism, then Z is compact and open, and thus, by connectedness, Z=S^n.I hope this helps!

Related to S^n not a mapping cylinder. S^n and homeom. subspaces

1. What is S^n?

S^n is a notation used to represent a sphere in n-dimensional space. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the surface of a sphere.

2. What does it mean for S^n to be a mapping cylinder?

A mapping cylinder is a topological space that is formed by attaching a cylinder to the base space along a continuous map. In the case of S^n, it means that the sphere can be represented as a mapping cylinder with a specific continuous map.

3. Why is S^n not a mapping cylinder?

S^n is not a mapping cylinder because there is no continuous map that can represent it in this form. This is because the sphere does not have a boundary or edge, which is necessary for a mapping cylinder.

4. What is the relationship between S^n and homeomorphic subspaces?

Two topological spaces are considered homeomorphic if there exists a continuous bijective map between them. In the case of S^n, any subspace of S^n that is homeomorphic to S^n is also considered a sphere in n-dimensional space.

5. Can S^n have homeomorphic subspaces that are not spheres?

Yes, it is possible for S^n to have homeomorphic subspaces that are not spheres. This is because homeomorphism only requires a continuous bijective map, not necessarily a geometric similarity. For example, a subspace of S^2 could be homeomorphic to a torus, but it would still be considered a subspace of S^2.