Procedures in Biology Question

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: I'm not so sure. I think a better idea is to examine why you are grossed out by those things. Perhaps because you associate blood with pain or death, for instance. The solution is to recognize these associations so you can try to change them to suit your needs.
Dooga Blackrazor
I went into a Biology course not expecting anything exciting. When asked later how I liked the course I said it was ok and explained that I only took it because it was the best course in my time slot. Starting out with a pessimistic view probably contributed to my view somewhat. It was also the first relatively work-challenging course I'd taken. Which started out bad, but turned out for the best.

I've decided to take another semester of Biology. Which I've concluded that I enjoy. This one will be more focused on Genetics than body systems. Something that is more interesting to me. Genetic Engineering and the interesting life altering concepts of the future intrigue me to an extent.

I'm a flexible and adaptable person, but I can't decide for certain what career path I want to go down in the future. I like most subjects and topics involving thinking and learning.

Concerning procedures I'm wondering how things in Biology work. I'm a person who gets grossed out fairly easily. By touching/smelling rather than hearing. I'm slowly getting over it but I'm not sure if its something that can disappear. When working in Biology do things commonly perceived as gross eventually become commonplace?

I'm trying to keep my options open but I don't want to end up in a few years considering a Biology career and finding out that I can't stomach it.

~Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Why do you think a biology career will be gross? What do you think it means to be a biologist.. There are many different directions you can go in, and it doesn't always involve working with animals. Think biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, genetics, population biology, biostatistics, biotechnology, plant engineering, the list is endless :)

I'm not saying all Biology careers are gross. Things like cutting a heart into pieces to make slides seems a bit gross to me. Something being appealing or not appealing is a matter of opinion in many cases. A heart with blood dripping down it and stuff like that doesn't appeal to me. I'm just wondering if you can get used to dealing with that type of thing? I'm assuming genetics would deal with that somewhat, and genetics seems like an interesting option to investigate.

I don't know what it means to be a Biologist personally. If I had to guess I'd assume its a lot of repitition of procedures to get towards the goal of create something new. There would be many other meanings as well. What it means to be a Biologist would be perspective for the most part. Helping people would be a good part of Biology as well.

I think I know what you mean.
Time and habit are certainly powerful and can change your reaction to those situations. Think of the singing gravedigger in Hamlet ;)
I think a better idea is to examine why you are grossed out by those things. Perhaps because you associate blood with pain or death, for instance. The solution is to recognize these associations so you can try to change them to suit your needs.
You may enjoy this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/disgust/index.shtml

or google the psychology of disgust for more info.
Happy thoughts
Rachel

As Monique already pointed out, you don't have to be forced to do things you find "gross" if you pursue biology. A lot of genetics work can be done with plants or cell cultures...no dripping blood. Actually, a lot of lab work is pretty clean (don't want to be contaminating your samples). I have worked with a lot of blood samples, but as one professor used to tell me, as long as you can think and design the experiments, you can always hire a technician to do the parts you don't like (she couldn't stand working with live animals...was terrified of being bitten...so hired people to do the animal work and she supervised the in vitro stuff). And, yes, things that seem "gross" at first can become routine and stop bothering you. It depends somewhat on whether it's just a dislike for something or a real phobia. Sometimes the best way to overcome something is to just do it. I've had several students over the years who started out terrified of needles, and with some gentle coaxing and patience, became some of the best at collecting blood samples, and then one who stayed in the lab pipetting samples into test tubes because she would never touch a needle.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Things like cutting a heart into pieces to make slides seems a bit gross to me.
:uhh: you are a vegetarian? :biggrin:

I can understand how opening up and dissecting an animal can be gross, or having to draw blood from someone, or cutting tails of mice, but the rest isn't that bad at all. I wouldn't be worried about it :smile:

What are some common procedures used in biology?

Some common procedures used in biology include DNA extraction, microscopy, cell culture, PCR, and gel electrophoresis. Each of these techniques allows scientists to study different aspects of living organisms, such as their genetic makeup, structure, and function.

How is DNA extracted from cells in biological research?

DNA extraction is a process that involves breaking open cells and separating the DNA from other cellular components. This is typically done using a combination of physical and chemical methods, such as grinding the cells with a pestle and using enzymes to break down cell walls and membranes. The extracted DNA can then be purified and used for various experiments and analyses.

What is the purpose of using microscopy in biology?

Microscopy is a technique that allows scientists to view and study very small objects, such as cells and microorganisms. This is important in biology because many biological processes and structures are too small to be seen with the naked eye. Microscopy allows scientists to visualize and understand these structures, which can provide valuable insights into the workings of living organisms.

What is the principle behind PCR (polymerase chain reaction) in biology?

PCR is a technique used to amplify, or make many copies of, a specific segment of DNA. It involves heating and cooling cycles that allow a special enzyme, called DNA polymerase, to replicate the DNA. This process can be repeated multiple times, resulting in a large amount of DNA that can then be used for various analyses, such as genetic testing and sequencing.

How does gel electrophoresis work in biology?

Gel electrophoresis is a technique used to separate DNA, RNA, or proteins based on their size and charge. The sample is placed in a gel matrix and an electric current is applied, causing the molecules to move through the gel. Smaller and negatively charged molecules move faster and farther than larger and positively charged molecules. This allows scientists to separate and analyze different molecules in a sample.