Rutherford scattering correction

In summary, the conversation is about correcting the counting rates measured in one plane for the fact that the foil scatters in a 3D cone in Rutherford's gold foil scattering experiment. The detector only detects alpha particles in a line and doesn't account for others scattering above and below it, so the count rate as a function of the angle measured with the detector needs to be corrected. The attempt at a solution involved using a solid angle formula and considering the dimensions of the apparatus. However, it is suggested to look at chords for circles and consider the ratio of the length of the plane and the corresponding segment of the circumference to determine how much less counts should be measured.
thelibertine1

Homework Statement

Hey. I've just conducted Rutherford's gold foil scattering experiment and am a little stuck on a part of the analysis. One of the objectives of the lab script is;

'To correct the counting rates measured in one plane for the fact that the foil scatters in a 3D cone'

So the detector only detects alpha particles in a line and doesn't account for others scattering above and below it. I've plotted the count rate as a function of the angle measured with the detector, how will this correction scale my results and how do I calculate this scaling factor?

Homework Equations

See attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

I attemped using a solid angle formula but got again stuck with not knowing the dimensions.

Thanks

Attachments

• 6Rutherford.bmp
    17.3 KB · Views: 822
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are looking for, if you are looking for the stuff missed by the detector, that isn't a correction it's an extrapolation and in fact is the equation for the entire angle dependent distribution. I think you need to correct for the fact that your conic distribution was flattened onto a plane. So look at chords for circles

Yes the conic distribution was flattened onto a plane, does that mean the count rate at each angle is actually less than measured?

yes since that has the effect of bringing the points closer together

So how can I work out how much less counts should me measured? Thanks by the way I think I get the idea

well the ratio of the length of the plane and the corresponding segment of the circumference is pretty much the indicator. But I am not familiar with the geometry of your apparatus so I'm working on assumption here

Related to Rutherford scattering correction

1. What is Rutherford scattering correction?

Rutherford scattering correction is a mathematical correction used to account for the effects of multiple scattering events in a sample during a scattering experiment.

2. Why is Rutherford scattering correction necessary?

When a beam of particles is directed at a sample, some of the particles will undergo multiple scattering events, causing the measured data to deviate from the true scattering pattern. Rutherford scattering correction helps to correct for this effect and produce more accurate results.

3. How is Rutherford scattering correction calculated?

Rutherford scattering correction is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the scattering angle, the number of scattering events, and the scattering cross section of the sample.

4. Is Rutherford scattering correction applicable to all types of particles?

Rutherford scattering correction is primarily used for particles with mass and charge, such as electrons, protons, and alpha particles. However, it can also be applied to other types of particles, such as neutrons, under certain conditions.

5. Can Rutherford scattering correction completely eliminate the effects of multiple scattering?

No, Rutherford scattering correction can only reduce the effects of multiple scattering, but it cannot completely eliminate them. Other factors, such as the properties of the sample and the energy of the particles, can also contribute to multiple scattering.