Rutherford scattering calculation

In summary, the question is asking for the thickness of a gold foil based on the fraction of 6.0 MeV protons scattered at angles greater than 60 degrees, with a density of 19.3 g/cm3. The formula for the number of particles scattered at an angle of theta or greater is provided, and using this formula and dividing by the incident intensity, the thickness of the gold foil can be calculated. The units for thickness may vary, but can be converted to m or cm depending on the desired unit. It is important to check the relationship between N and I and ensure correct units are used for all terms in the formula.
strangequark

Homework Statement

The fraction of [tex]6.0 MeV[/tex] protons scattered by thin gold foil, of density [tex]\rho=19.3 g/cm^{3}[/tex], from the incident beam into a region where scattering angles exceed [tex]60 degrees[/tex] is equal to [tex] 2.0 x 10^{-5} [/tex]. Calculate the thickness of the gold foil using the result of the previous problem.

Homework Equations

The result I got for the previous problem was a formula for the number of particles scattered thru and angle of [tex]\theta[/tex] or greater and is:

[tex]N(\theta)= (\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}})^{2} \pi I \rho t (\frac{zZe^{2}}{Mv^{2}})^{2} cot^{2}(\frac{\theta}{2}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I took [tex]\frac{N(\theta)}{I}[/tex] which is equivalent to removing the I from the above equation and attempted to solve for t, which is the thickness...

[tex]t=\frac{2x10^{-5}}{(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}})^{2} \pi (19.3 g/cm^{3}) (\frac{79(1.602x10^{-19}coul)^{2}}{2(6 MeV)})^{2} cot^{2}(\frac{\pi}{6})}[/tex]

problem is that I keep getting an answer in m/kg, so I must be missing some term, though I can't figure out what it is...

any help is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Absorber thickness is sometime measured in kg/m2 or gm/cm2 such that dividing by density in kg/m3 or gm/cm3 yields a thickness in m or cm, respectively.

Make sure the relationship between N and I is correct, and check one's units on the various terms.

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be corrected in order to get the correct units for thickness. First, the units for the electric field constant, \epsilon_{0}, should be factored in to the equation. It has units of \frac{C^{2}}{N\cdot m^{2}}. Additionally, the units for the mass, M, should be in kg, and the units for the velocity, v, should be in m/s. Finally, the units for the scattering angle, \theta, should be in radians.

So the corrected equation for thickness would be:

t=\frac{2x10^{-5}}{(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}})^{2} \pi (19.3 g/cm^{3}) (\frac{79(1.602x10^{-19}coul)^{2}}{2(6 MeV)})^{2} cot^{2}(\frac{\pi}{6}) \frac{m^{3}\cdot kg^{2}}{C^{4}}}

Using the conversion factors, 1 J = 1 kg m^{2}/s^{2} and 1 MeV = 1.602x10^{-13} J, the final answer for the thickness would be in meters.

I hope this helps clarify the issue and leads you to the correct solution. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is Rutherford scattering calculation?

Rutherford scattering calculation is a theoretical model used to predict the trajectory of particles as they pass through a target object, based on the laws of classical mechanics.

2. Why is Rutherford scattering calculation important?

Rutherford scattering calculation is important because it provides a way to study the structure of atoms and subatomic particles. It was used in the famous gold foil experiment, which led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus.

3. How is Rutherford scattering calculation performed?

Rutherford scattering calculation involves using the Coulomb potential to calculate the forces between a particle and a target object. This information is then used to determine the trajectory of the particle as it passes through the target.

4. What factors influence the accuracy of Rutherford scattering calculation?

The accuracy of Rutherford scattering calculation depends on several factors, including the initial velocity of the particle, the size and charge of the target object, and the distance between the particle and the target.

5. How is Rutherford scattering calculation related to quantum mechanics?

Rutherford scattering calculation is a classical model that does not take into account the principles of quantum mechanics. However, it can be used as a starting point to understand more complex quantum mechanical models, such as the Schrödinger equation.