Rutherford and nuclear transmutation

In summary, The problem involves nuclear transmutation and identifying X in a reaction involving an alpha particle and nitrogen. The data provided includes rest masses and initial kinetic energy, and equations are needed to convert units and solve the problem.
Synxervious
Hi guys, got another problem here. This one's about nuclear transmutation; Would really appreciate help!

Homework Statement

Consider the reaction

a + 14N7 -> 17O8 + X.

a) Identify X.

b) The following data are available:

Rest mass of a: 3.7428 GeV c^-2
Rest mass of 14N7: 13.0942 GeV c^-2
Rest mass of 17O8 + X = 16.8383 GeV c^-2

Initial KE of the alpha particle is 7.68 MeV

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm supposed to convert rest mass to kilograms, but I don't quite know how. The above data multiplied by the speed of light squared? o_O

If I know that, I think the rest of the problem should be pretty straightforward.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do they want you to identify the energy of the emitted X or just the identity of the emitted X? If the latter, just total the protons and neutrons on each side. It might help to write it as 22α + 147N -> 178O + X

Related to Rutherford and nuclear transmutation

1. What is Rutherford's contribution to nuclear transmutation?

Rutherford is credited with discovering the concept of nuclear transmutation, which is the process of changing one element into another by altering the number of protons in the nucleus. He also conducted experiments with his colleagues that led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus.

2. How did Rutherford conduct his experiments on nuclear transmutation?

Rutherford and his colleagues used alpha particles (positively charged particles) to bombard various elements and observed how they were deflected. This led to the discovery of the atomic nucleus and the concept of nuclear transmutation.

3. What is the significance of Rutherford's discovery of nuclear transmutation?

Rutherford's discovery of nuclear transmutation helped to solidify the theory of the atom and paved the way for further research into nuclear physics. It also played a crucial role in the development of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.

4. Can nuclear transmutation occur naturally?

Yes, nuclear transmutation can occur naturally through processes such as radioactive decay and cosmic ray interactions. It also occurs in stars, where elements are constantly being fused together and transformed.

5. How is nuclear transmutation used in practical applications?

Nuclear transmutation is used in a variety of practical applications, including nuclear energy production, medical treatments, and the production of new and rare elements for research and industrial purposes. It is also used in nuclear weapons to create powerful explosions.